Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not talking about the high idle on start ups ...

I have an 09' Custom 900 that is 100% stock and every once in awhile the idle will be very high , high enough to cruise 20MPH in first gear .

I always let it run after I start it , IE start bike then gear up ....

I am concerned I could have an accident and it's just a PIA.

Anyone know what is causing this?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Vacuum leak? Throttle sticking? Dirty throttle body, blades sticking? Since it sounds intermitant. Just some things to check.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Mine does that once in a while, too. Usually, if I shut it off and restart it, all is well. No idea what causes it, though.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Mine does it too on occasion, but I haven't found the trick to fix it. I wish someone knews whats going on. I do not believe it is mechanical like a dirty throttle body or stuck blades because reving the engine doesn't stop it. And I would think that if it was a vacuum leak it would do it all the time. I think it is something to do with the fuel computer. Mine will stop the super reving after it warms up a bit. I think it is either getting a bad temperature reading or maybe it just has a schizoid personality. Who know? But any suggestions would be nice.

PS- We are not describing the normal high rev (<2000rom) that you always get when the bike first starts. This is an even higher level of rev (3000-4000 rpm) that occurs only occasionally for no real reason when you first start the bike.

·
Registered
72 Posts
PS- We are not describing the normal high rev (<2000rom) that you always get when the bike first starts. This is an even higher level of rev (3000-4000 rpm) that occurs only occasionally for no real reason when you first start the bike.
Mine does this too, OR it will be idleing normal and then i ride it about 4 blocks, get stopped at the light and it starts doing that. Kind of embarassing sitting at a light with your bike idleing that high and people looking at it like what the hell...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Mine does this too, OR it will be idleing normal and then i ride it about 4 blocks, get stopped at the light and it starts doing that. Kind of embarassing sitting at a light with your bike idleing that high and people looking at it like what the hell...
When it happens at a light like that, I hold tight on the brake & let the clutch out a bit to reduce the R's. Or (like I said) I'll shut it off & restart. It usually (not always) fixes the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Just curious, when you stop, say, at a light is the bike idling normally then it just kicks the revs up on it's own? When does it return to normal idle? Would you guess your idle setting is where the factory suggests, about 1000 RPM?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also have an 09 Custom i bought new Sept of 2010 with . The same thing has happened to me on occasion. Both before and after the 600 mile chechup that was dealer performed!

Starts fine and then after a few minutes it races. Rooling on and off the throttle does not cure it. NOT a normal high idle but racing pretty damn good. Enough so i stop shut down and restart! That seems to solve it but its a pain in the ass!!! It is annoying and could be dangerous in certain circumstances.

Hmmm...Maybe a mail to Kawasaki NA with a reference to these posts. I know i have seen other posts describing this same problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts