Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps this has been mentioned before and I missed it, but it seems there is an important step when winterizing that is never discussed. Most people agree that the best time to change the oil is when you winterize the bike due to the fact that oil becomes acidic when exposed to the combustion process, and therefore it is better to change it with fresh oil as opposed to letting acidic oil sit in it for several months. What I am wondering is if you should run the engine after changing the oil? On one hand, if you don't run the engine then all of the internal parts are still coated with a film of the contaminated oil that you just drained, which in my mind defeats the whole point of changing it in the first place. However, on the other hand, by running the engine in an attempt to wash off the contaminated oil and coat everything with fresh oil, you are then exposing it to the combustion process which then starts the process of becoming acidic. Which method is recommended?

· wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
fl, run the new oil in at least a few minutes or till the motor warms up. You won't have created enuff carbon in the new oil to cause any problems. It's old worn oil that is full of carbon and potential acids that should be rid of b4 sitting.
Also running the motor should get some stabilizer into the fuel system and not just in the tank.

· Registered
598 Posts
fl, run the new oil in at least a few minutes or till the motor warms up. You won't have created enuff carbon in the new oil to cause any problems. It's old worn oil that is full of carbon and potential acids that should be rid of b4 sitting.
Also running the motor should get some stabilizer into the fuel system and not just in the tank.
yup, what he said....................

· Registered
3,821 Posts
Yup, I agree, though I usually Stabilize before the drive to warm up the old oil for the change so a gallon or two or more is run though. (depending on how long is the last ride). Way overkill for the flush, but you learn no to cut it too close here in MN or you may end up on the short end of snow. :) Once all that's done I top off the fuel tank with stabilized fuel.

· Registered
522 Posts
If you didn't run the oil too long the TBN should be high enough to avoid the oil being too acidic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.