Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a new 2010 Vulcan 900 Custom. I have been riding back and forth to work on a fairly ruff road and it is killing my back. I have never had back problems before so I was curious if these bikes smooth out after a while. This is not a big issue, I love the bike, but I am just curious if after a while the bikes suspension gets a little softer.

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
In colder weather the suspension stiffens up too

·
Registered
397 Posts
Welcome, ATC and congrats on the new ride! You do know that the suspension is adjustable, right? Pull off the left side cover, get the coolant reservoir out of the way and you have a seven position adjustment on the spring. I think it usually comes from the factory set at "4" right in the middle. You might try adjusting it to a lower setting. There's a special wrench in the toolkit for this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I will have to take a look at that adjustment. It only really seems to bother me in the 20's. I really like the seat so far, it is the two tone black and silver, so I would like to keep the seat as long as I can. Thanks again for the help, this is a pretty amazing site.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I agree, check the suspension settings. The factory sets it up for a 150lb rider. The stock seat is also a little stiff. Post some pics.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Because I ride two up often I didn't mess with the shock settings I instead bought a Corbin and been very happy with it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have to agree that seat is nice looking on that bike. I would just get it reworked. Now would be the time too. I know you have been riding, but it isn't optimal riding season. And you deffinately don't want to be without a seat during the summer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you want to keep the seat appearance, you might want to take a look at the offerings of a guy named Spencer in Lake City, Fla. He offers fast turnaround times and reuses the original seat cover in his method. greatdaytoride.com

·
Registered
295 Posts
I thought mine was too stiff at the rear after putting on some miles and I took one notch of preload out of the shock and it's much better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info. I will adjust the suspension as soon as I can. It is snowing pretty good right now, so no riding. I appreciate all the responses.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i know with mine i had 15 wheight oil in the forks amd when progressive put the lowering kit on it they changed it to 10 wheight and it has helped alot

·
Registered
941 Posts
i know with mine i had 15 wheight oil in the forks amd when progressive put the lowering kit on it they changed it to 10 wheight and it has helped alot
Did you change the fork oil weight in front or is 15 stock. I know on my vn750 I had changed the rear oil to a stiffer weight, but I went too stiff.

·
Registered
273 Posts
jace the 15 weight is what was in the forks when i bought it so i dont know if that was stock. i bought my bike used it is an 07 and it had 1500 miles on it when i bought it so i would asume that the 15 weight was stock stock

1 - 14 of 14 Posts