Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does the belt sound like when its to tight. I have rubbing noise at low speeds. Like coming up to a stop and pull the clutch in and i can feel it rub. Its kinda rub then fine then rub as the tires turn. Had tire changed on vacation and it started doing it then. Just had a new commander II put on today and its still doing it. Never did this before the last 2 rear tire changes. Its driving me nuts help !

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
851 Posts
On my 900 it almost sounded like a gear grinding, I just changed my rear tire so I went back and loosen the tension on the belt and relined it and the problem quit. Good luck!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds like the belt to me. They can track like that. Loosen up the belt a little and make sure it is tracking properly. Also remember these belts have a memory of sorts they can get stretched and will not track true after that. If you can not get it to track get a new one.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The belt never made any noise the first 15000 miles. Must of been adjusted wrong on the last tore change.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
223 Posts
A too tight belt will make a loud whining sound. I had brought my 2010 Nomad in to my dealer for a belt check up, and they adjusted it, and afterwards the whining sound aroud 45 mph was terrible. It took those idiots three tries to get it right. I knew it was too tight, and I should have done it myself.
I recently had the Commander II's installed by a local mechanic and he got the belt right the first time. So, it is not your tires.
I will never go back to my dealer for anything, ever.
Take care, Eric

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
The bracket on my belt guard had been bent, letting the belt rub a hole completely through the guard! Take it back to the guy that changed the tire and let him check to see if he bent the bracket. It doesn't appear to take much for that to happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts