Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have chance to pick up new to me RS Mutazu bags, will they fit on my 2013 LT Claaic?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yes. With either their "universal brackets" or the LT's factory brackets adapted to the RS.

·
Registered
236 Posts
i have mutazu GA on my custom, and this is my 3rd season with them.

Personnaly i would NOT recommend using mutazu, as I find they are poorly made, there's always a white residue on them from the cover rubbing on the bag
where i drilled them to mount them on the universal bracket, they started cracking. I'm actually scared they might fall off one day driving on the highway.

the weather seal is always falling off

sometimes the cover doesn't close properly

they are really flimsy

So overall, they are low priced, but you get what you pay for

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the Ga originally on my 02 Volusia, I installed a new rubber gasket at the top to stop the friction causing the white powder.
Got fed up worth them and bought the XL series from Ridebikegear , they were Ok but the lock didn't fit great.
Didn't matter a cager took out the bike.
I picked up the RS bags today and they look great.
Will keep you advise when I get them installed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roman
Did you do anything to the bags when you mounted them?
I'm thinking of installing a lexan plate on the inside of the bag for extra structural strength.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
No. They were flimsy but they were also cheap. I rode with them, abused them, stuffed them. They remained flimsy and flexed a lot but they never broke or failed. I drilled a very tiny hole in the 'hole' where the latch bracket is (where it locks) to let water drain, it would pool up there. The bags stayed dry even in heavy rain, but the key lock brackets would fill up with water.

I don't remember if it came with them or I picked them up, but huge fat fender washers where the bolts go in are a big help.

I mean they are flimsy but they stood up to my abuse. Flexing doesn't necessary mean something is going to break. Corbin bags are really steep and the Tsukayu bags didn't seem that much better for a lot more money. So the Mutazu were a good setup. I had always said that if I was going to spend big bucks on saddlebags then I'd just buy a bike with OEM hard bags. And... well... I guess I did :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roman
Thanks for the info, these are better than the XL bags that I had on my Volusia.
A little reinforcement will help them last longer.
I'll install some reinforcing plates to the mounting side, hope that will be worth my time.
Will run with the bags in Black until next season will get my painter to paint in the metallic White.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
there's always a white residue on them from the cover rubbing on the bag
I put black electrical tape around the lip .... its been the for years with no issues

where i drilled them to mount them on the universal bracket, they started cracking. I'm actually scared they might fall off one day driving on the highway
I used large washers on the inside and the outside of the holes .... its distributes the pressure to the bracket .... my MU bags have thousands .. yes thousands of miles on them with no issues. I have them on 2 bikes with the same install and set up.

Here's the secret .... use the LT brackets, they offer a 3 point fix, the weight is on the bracket, not the bag itself. Do not over load them, it puts pressure on the locks and the hinges. Yes they are abs, so is just about every bag on the market. Look after them and treat them well and they will look after you.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
if I was going to spend big bucks on saddlebags then I'd just buy a bike with OEM hard bags.
its was not the bags that cost a lot, it was the rest of the bike that went with them. LOL

·
Registered
357 Posts
like whiting said. use over-sized washers to distribute the force to more surface area. I also drilled through the bags at the same point of frame mount and used spacers from the sissy bar with longer bolts to give the bags 2 extra points of contact/support.

I've had the MU bags on since last fall and routinely stuff them full. They are not waterproof by any means and the doors don't fit snug against the gasket to seal. Then again I rarely ride when it's above 30% chance of rain at any point during the day. And I have a cover for those times it does.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts