Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday it was beautiful out and I spent the entire day out on the bike. I spent a lot of time out on the highway. First thing I noticed is that my speedo is off a little bit because for part of my journey I was following someone in a car and it seemed like when he said we were going about 70 my speedo was saying 75-80. So that explains why I'm always getting passed on the highway lol. I'm going to check it with a GPS tonight probably.

Anyways I typically go right at the speed limit all the time so the highest we have here are 70s. When I am riding and the speedo is reading 70, it could all be in my head but it seams like it is revving fairly high. Now part of that could be because its just very loud with the V & H Exhaust but it still seems a little high. But I have no way of knowing since I don't have a tach. I do know that at any time I can roll into the throttle and jump up about 10-15 mph with no issue so it is definitely not at the top of its power band or anything but stuff like that just gets me nervous. I would assume that it is safe to run a continuous 70-75 mph on these motors and it wont hurt them but some reassurance would be nice. Again I come from sport bikes where I'm revving around 2500 at speed on the highway. Anyone actually know what RPM these 1600 are turning around 70 MPH?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a Vulcan 1600 mean streak, and at 80 mph (what the speedo shows), I'm running around 3500 rpm's. At 90 claimed, it's about 4000 rpm's. I know that not all speedos are exact, but I've noticed above 60 mph, my actual speed is about 3-5 mph slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
Yep, my speedo is solid 4 mph fast...

I have a tach and it reads 3000 at gps verified 70 mph...

Wish we had a 6th gear !!!

Luckymann77

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok yeah that's about what I was thinking. I definitely wish we had a 6th gear also! But I'm ok with 3-3.5k for distances. I just wanted to get some clarification that I wasn't cruising above that. Thanks for all the replies!

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
Your welcome !!!

You really should get a tach ...

Think I spent about 50 bucks shipped and another 10 for the bracket ...

Took about an hour and a half cuz I wired to the wrong side of coil at first and had to redo...
All the other wiring was in the headlight bucket ...

Biker's Choice tach I think, and a Chris Products handlebar bracket ...

Luckymann77

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Im pretty sure I will. I have looked at a few of them. Wiring kind of scares me a little but I have watched a few youtube videos and it doesn't seem to difficult. Yours look good I'll have to check that one out as well. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts