Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been discussed, but i need some conformation from you guys with voygers. Does this royal purple ice really lower the engin temp or is it just hype? I have less than 10 miles on the bike, but the engine heat is high. the guage reads ok, but the heat from the engine and 95 degee air temp is realy hot. other than that and my sort legs, i love this bike. its looks great and tomorrow it grts it first extended ride. If this stuff works, it would be a leg saver.:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I added a different brand than Royal Purple. But I believe all of those types of additives will give the same results. There's a thread in the past that I followed the formula they suggested.It was 70 - 30. 70% water & 30% ethylene glycol and 4 oz of what ever additive you get. The system holds 2.5 qts. Now I did see a difference so I would say it was worth the trouble to change it out. Now there is a brand called "Engine Ice" that you put it straight in with nothing else. They say that works also. But you are still going to feel heat just not as much.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Big engine, lean fuel map, very small cooling system = very hot bike. This topic has been beaten to death, resurrected and beaten down again.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wbilotta

Sorry to bother you. I understand the principles of mass. That was not the question. The question was, Does Royal Purple work as advertised. I can do my own research as to the validity of the products claims. but people who have used the product are usually the best source of truthfull information.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
davidsheek,
thanks for your help. it's only 12 bucks, so i think i will give it a shot. Ride Safe

·
Registered
765 Posts
wbilotta

Sorry to bother you. I understand the principles of mass. That was not the question. The question was, Does Royal Purple work as advertised. I can do my own research as to the validity of the products claims. but people who have used the product are usually the best source of truthfull information.
No bother at all. Ask yourself this, how can a few ounces of a product in a cooling system alter the physics of the bike to the point we would feel a difference in radiated heat ? The coolant system only flows around the heads and can only absorb so much heat. Then the coolant must be able to release that heat through the small radiator.

The bike is going to run hot and some people are more tolerant of the heat than others. I swapped out my coolant for the 70/30 ratio and I haven't noticed a difference. Once the bike slows down or stops the temp quickly rises. Just the nature of this beast.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wbillotta,

now that's a very helpful response. your logic is sound. i'm just trying to weed out the companies that claim to have the cure for all. Amsoil claims to have the mirical air filter. these are the type of questions us new voyager owners have bouncing around in our heads. we depend and appreciate you seasoned vets telling it like it really is. thanks again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
New to this forum and Kaw 1700's, I find this heat issue very interesting. I wonder how much the body-work of the Voy. and Vaq. magnify the problem. My 1700C doesnot bother me and has no body-work. Wonder if the heat gets away from my bike easier ?

·
Registered
194 Posts
The most tried and true method to "fix" the too much heat issue is Thunder Intake, Power Commander and a fuel map. Bike runs better, pulls harder and gets better mileage than stock...and it runs noticeably cooler. If you're thinking about sometime down the road doing these things anyway- do it now. I can run fith gear at 40mph about 1800rpm and drive it around town all day. Once you get past 3000rpm is when the less restrictive intake shows the most benefit...it goes like hell. My average mpg is about 42. Have gotten almost 47 from a full days riding the back roads.

·
Registered
765 Posts
New to this forum and Kaw 1700's, I find this heat issue very interesting. I wonder how much the body-work of the Voy. and Vaq. magnify the problem. My 1700C doesnot bother me and has no body-work. Wonder if the heat gets away from my bike easier ?
IMO, the bodywork does hinder the airflow around the engine. While you're riding, reach down and feel the amount of air that flows in the gap between the upper and lower fairings on each side of the bike. I'm trying to engineer a plexiglass deflector that will fit into this area and help channel that air into the side of the engine. I'm hoping that will help reduce the heat I feel while riding.

·
Registered
644 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I switched to AMSOIL's coolant and mixed it for a 0'c + mixture, seems to have worked. no where near the same heat coming off the engine. I tryto stay away from additives because with all the differant chemicals in oils/coolants and such, you just never knwo who it's going to react with the fluids you have in your engine, of the metals/plastics of the motors.

Unless it was made by the same company oil/additive I never mix.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Did you make or buy that set up?
Parts from goldwing air wings, parts from local bike shop ( the crash bar mounts) and made the brackets.

I did this because my wife complained that she was feeling alot of heat on her legs. According to her she can tell a big difference when they are used to direct the air onto her area, and she tells me to close them when it's cold.

In hot weather the extra air hitting the rear cylinder area has to help.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mpg

The most tried and true method to "fix" the too much heat issue is Thunder Intake, Power Commander and a fuel map. Bike runs better, pulls harder and gets better mileage than stock...and it runs noticeably cooler. If you're thinking about sometime down the road doing these things anyway- do it now. I can run fith gear at 40mph about 1800rpm and drive it around town all day. Once you get past 3000rpm is when the less restrictive intake shows the most benefit...it goes like hell. My average mpg is about 42. Have gotten almost 47 from a full days riding the back roads.
Where do you live Flatop?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Put Engine Ice in my Vaq noticed a huge difference on the gauge it was almost topping out some days now it almost never makes 3/4 as others have said heat is still there just not so much

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Put Engine Ice in my Vaq noticed a huge difference on the gauge it was almost topping out some days now it almost never makes 3/4 as others have said heat is still there just not so much
The engine may run cooler as these special coolants apparently improve the heat transfer, but the engine isn't running any more efficiently so that heat has to be going somewhere. More out the radiator, I'd suppose.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The engine may run cooler as these special coolants apparently improve the heat transfer, but the engine isn't running any more efficiently so that heat has to be going somewhere. More out the radiator, I'd suppose.
You most likely right although it does seem to feel more comfortable in traffic

1 - 20 of 29 Posts