Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been wanting something I can ride comfortably on dirt roads and occasional trails, but have no need for a big tall ADV bike, but want something that can handle the road in style, so didn't wan't one of the road legal dirt bikes. Somehow stumbled upon the RE Himalayan. Damn, these bikes look fun and are right around $5k out the door. I just may need to get me one of these for my second bike.

Check em out, Himalayan 411 CC Colours, Specifications, Reviews, Gallery | Royal Enfield

Anyone have anything like this?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just picked this up, can't wait to get plates. And no, the Vulcan is not going anywhere.

And here she is getting to know her new bunkmate.

·
Super Moderator
1,400 Posts
Congrats on you new extra ride. They are odd looking but do what they are designed for well. Rode dirt when I was young. But then the available places on Long Island, NY became scarce. Strange that the headlight is stationary. Enjoy your new ride and watch out for those trees. 🌲🌲🌲

·
Registered
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Classic LT
52 Posts
Very nice! I've been eyeballing those myself. I had a dual-sport years ago and never used it. I now want to get into the back roads of Wisconsin and need a dual-sport to do it. I was considering the KLR650, but then have been jonesing for one of these. Have you had it out much yet? How is it on/off road?
Dan

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Dan, I have indeed had it off road a little bit, Did great on gravel/dirt roads, and pretty well on the more atv type jeep trails, but I think that is the stock tires, which I'll know soon enough, as I have a new set ready to go on next week. The stockers are more of a 80/20 on/off tire and I went for a 50/50 because I hope to do more off road than on. If I were just going to miles of nice dirt roads with occasional technical riding involved I'm sure the stockers would be fine.

Other than that, behaves really well on the road and off. The center of gravity is low enough that you feel in control. If you have a chance to give one a test ride, go for it, I'm guessing you'll dig it. Mind you, your not going to win any world speed records, and I wouldn't want to have to spend a lot of time on a 70+mph highway, but for what its designed for, its perfect, a true go anywhere bike that takes its time getting there and does so with grace and style. And the price is right.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Classic LT
52 Posts
G Man, thank you. I plan to purchase one in the Spring of 2021. Thanks for the write up on the tires. That's sort of what I was thinking. I would probably go the 50/50 route like you are doing. Like you, I would plan on doing more off-road than on, but would need to get there first. Some of the roads I would be on are sand, gravel, mud, etc, so it sounds like an immediate tire swap would be a good idea.

Anyhow, have fun with your bike. Hopefully by next year, I will be part of the Himalayan club!

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts