Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a proud owner of a brand new 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom. With a little under 100 miles on her, I plan on dropping her off at the dealership for the 600 mile service

My question to you is about routine, at-home maintenance and cleaning. This is my first brand new bike (My others have been bought used and beaten until I became experienced enough on a motorcycle to know I wouldn't ding my new baby) and I want to make sure that she's taken care of properly.

1) Aside from an oil change, what routine maintenance work do you perform at home? (ie. how often do you lube the chain, change the brake fluids, etc?)

2) Do you recommend any reading material that would introduce me to regular care and maintenance of a motorcycle? Sort of like a step by step routine to perform every X months.

3) Although this question might be answered in such reading material, do any of you recommend essential tools to have around the house for maintenance? Although I have a tool box with basic household tools, it has no specialized parts or tools for motorcycle maintenance.

I'm asking these questions because I'm not motorcycle savvy yet. Although I have a natural inclination for technical work (ie. I taught myself how to remove all of the fairings and replace a fairing stay on an R6), I want to know where to begin.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I invested in a service manual, the maintenance intervals I use are those specified in the owner and service manuals. I do what I can do to save $$.

Tools, metric allen wrenches, open/box end wrenches and sockets, as well as a couple of torque wrenches. A protective cover, pads, or at least a towel to protect painted and chrome surfaces from the occasion tool drop or slip...

·
Registered
533 Posts
A service manual, a GOOD set of metric allen wrenches, metric box/open ends, some metric sockets and a torque wrench. Oh and don't worry about the chain......the 900 is belt driven.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello,

1) Aside from an oil change, what routine maintenance work do you perform at home? (ie. how often do you lube the chain, change the brake fluids, etc?)

Thanks for any advice!
No chain, it's belt drive.

·
Registered
249 Posts
3 years ago there was no one more uncomfortable than me in a garage. I write software for a living and that's pretty much all I do right in this world. ;) But I bought the service manual after a bad experience at the stealership and I haven't looked back!

You'll pick up the tools that you need along the way. There's no need to stock up on everything right away ... half of the fun is going out for a tool when you actually need it. There is plenty of knowledge in that manual and on this forum to get you through whatever it is that you run into.

If I can do it, trust me so can you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts