Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To be clear, I'm not complaining here. I'm honestly asking for the advice on this issue. So here goes...

Because I'm an independant, hard working young adult who doesn't mooch off Mommy and Daddy, who pays his own rent and utilities and puts food on his table, I'm getting screwed out of Federal Grant money for college. Whoopie. That being said, going to college will be tough for me, but I think I'm bright enough to do it. I've narrowed my choices down to a couple of options, and I'd like to hear the input of a large group of people (namely, all of you), so please feel free to give your two cents.

1.) Get another job over the summer and work my @$$ off while going to school just to pay tuition and rent and the like. Not really feeling this one, but if it must be done...

2.) Start selling my worldly posessions (which there aren't many), which will probably include Putt. REALLY not feeling this one.

3.) Join the Air Force in a field I'm interested in, earn my degree while serving, and come out with Vet status and an impressive resume. The only thing that is keeping me from going this route is my family (who will support me if I tell them) and my long-term girlfriend (she won't be thrilled).

Like I said, I'm not complaining. I'm casting a vote beause I'm confused as all getout. the :beer: isn't helping. So, if you're feeling Dr. Phil-ish, chime on in. No matter what you say, I won't criticize. That's a promise.

·
Registered
152 Posts
upupandaway

AIR FORCE!! you won't be sorry, and if she's worth 2 cents she'll be there for you.
There are tons of women(good ones) out there.
Screw up you're life now and there is no second chance.
This is your time
this is your life
choose wisely and don't let your nuts lead you astray
This is coming from one who should have listened to my own advice
I lost at least 25 years screwing around and would love to have them back
good luck to you
wayne

·
Registered
89 Posts
Air force all the way.

I'm a retired AF guy (26+years) who was only going to stay 4 years :D

Another option would be Guard or Reserve assuming a somewhat local unit has openings in your desired career field. Most state guard programs offer 100% TA for in-state schools in addition to GI bill assistance! Some even offer studen loan repayment programs the pay the loan payment (or a part of) if you re-up after graduating.

You never know, it may end up being your calling; turned out to be mine despite other plans.

Go for it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ask 100 people their opinion and you will get 100 opinions. Do what YOU feel is right. You already know the answer and are either too scared to follow your own heart or too worried about "what if I do blah blah and blah blah happens?". Good luck Bro.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I got drafted in 1967 and thought my life was ruined. Veterans' benefits have been the best thing that ever happened to me, plus in the long run I've found out I'm proud to have showed up and served. I vote Air Force, but your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Air Force. My biggest regret was leaving the Canadian Forces back when I finished my first contract. I've seen some of my friends recently retire with full pensions at age 42-45. Plenty of life left to live with lots of bucks in their pockets. I know it doesn't seem important to you now, but as I stare down the last 20 years of work before "retirement", I realize I won't be able to retire. Hell had I even saved 25 bucks a pay in an RRSP I would have been better off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Air Force is a good choice. Gives you a chance to earn the benefits instead of borrowing or begging for them. Just remember a couple of things:

1) Choose your career carefully. Don't invest a lot of time and training on something that you won't love for the rest of your life. If you're not happy in it, you'll be a marginal performer.

2) Stay away from drugs. That will end your military career faster than anything.

Your girlfriend will just have to accept the idea that you will answer to a higher authority than her, and if she's worth her salt, she'll support you all the way.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Ask 100 people their opinion and you will get 100 opinions.
Unless you ask here, where the initial consensus seems to be (and I agree) AIR FORCE! I was in a similar situation as a youngster, and I have 2 regrets: 1) I chose the work my @ss off part and ended up burning myself out just a little bit short. If I had the work ethic then that I have now... 2) I didn't get the chance to serve the country I love.

IMO, the USAF will do far more than give you a degree, resume and vet status. It gives so much more...

Good luck with your decision, my friend.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I went into the AF and wasted my time there exercising low moral judgement and generally poor behaviour. I hope if you choose that route you walk a more enlightened path.

After the AF, i got married, worked full time, and went to a community college taking as many credits during a semester as i could handle. It wasn't real easy on me or my family life.

We all make choices, i suggest that since your family supports you, you get your parent's opinion. They know you best.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, everyone, for your show of support. You have a point, Wilbur, but I wanted to see if my confused like of thought was realy as confused as I thought it was. Wanted to give myself a reality check, so to say.

Based on the responses here, I guess I'll start training. M16 expert classification shouldn't be too hard. The warhawk test is going to be the tough one. I'll keep thinking about other options, but if I'm drawing a blank by mid-summer, I'll talk to the recruiter.

If you go on base and I check you in at the gate, be sure to say "Hi".

·
Registered
197 Posts
There is always a second chance, you just have to work harder to get it. I havent lived that long but long enough to know that only you know what you want to do asking trusted ones around you is helpful but ultimatly its up to you. I have taken trusted advise when I was lost and they said I was doing the right thing. Come to find out it didnt work out so well. So I didnt wait for another door to open. I just kept on trying and nocking and kicking them until one opened. It isnt always going to be the door you want but at least your not standing on the porch waiting for something to happen.

I have put in an application with the Border Patrol. It is a very long approval process and it seems like it is almost over, but they keep sending me more forms and asking for more background info. It seems almost like they are stalling. It has been a year and seven months. I just keep on nocking.
USAJOBS.gov is a great place to find a good job that will pay for your college, you might get shot at but you wont have to leave the country.
Dont let anyone hold u back. If they dont support you then they probably wouldnt have for the long haul anyway.

GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
No one can tell you what is right for you; but asking about other peoples experiences is the right way to weigh your options.
I never served, but as one poster put it, when I was younger I suffered from "low moral judgement and generally poor behavior". It would have been better for me if I had.
What I did do, was start college in my late 20's. Working overtime hours, taking as many credits as I could at night, and raising a kid is no walk in the park. It is a huge commitment, that does not leave a lot of time for family, friends, and significant others.
If you do choose this route, your girlfriend will still be making sacrifices.

Scott

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
We all make choices, i suggest that since your family supports you, you get your parent's opinion. They know you best.
bingo.. and they got skin in this game.. where as no one else does.
ps. i vote AF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts