Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

i have a problem with my bike.
It has run about 35.000 miles and i wanted to give it a clean.
I followed the following procedure

Remove your RH air filter so you can get to the throttle body.

Spray carb cleaner into the throttle body while your motor is running, youll have to twist the throttle a bit to keep it running as it will try to stall. If it does, restarting may be a little more sluggish but it will start.

Spray about ten seconds worth into each throttle barrell.

Then shut the bike off and scrub as far inside the throttle body as you can reach while holding the throttle wide open with your toothbrush. Pay particular attention around the butterflies.

Thats it, your done, install your air cleaner and ride.

It is all clean now but now the bike runs terrible, not smooth at all anymore...
I checked the sprarkplugs and they are fine but the bike runs rough, does have power but nothing like it was before in terms of smoothness.
It feels like it is pounding more also (hard to explain)
Maybe a sensor at fault or something?
Is there anything i can test or do?

What could i have done wrong?
Can anybody steer me in the right direction where to look for a problem?
I'm mad at myself for messing up my bike.

The bike is bonestock

Could it be a faulty sensor (air mixture or something) or something i can measure or check?
I do not dare to ride it anymore now because i'm afraid i will do some kind of damage.

From when i got it it has a vibrating point in the revs very low but after a few hundred revs more is smoothed out nicely, i don't understand what caused this more pronounced thump that causes it to not be smooth anymore.
When i sprayed the throttle cleaner while the bike was running and gave it some gas there was some black smoke and some backfire but i recon that is the cleaner that is processed...

This is such a difficult problem to explain, i would even say some would not even feel it because "a V-twin always vibrates" but i know this is NOT how this bike rode before...
Mine stalls out sometimes too when pulling in the clutch at low speeds, but it did that before also.

It does run ok (power wise and pulling power) but there is an extra vibration and loudness to the thump if you know what i mean (sorry, really hard to explain)
Normal it sounds and feels like a V-twin, rumbling in the background (all stock) and when your rolling on its smooths out and cruising at 75Mph in 5th is lovely like a flying carpet.
Now the idle is more thumpy, more pronounced and when i ride there is no more smoothness, even at higher rpm's...just this constant engine vibe.

(i also posted these questions on VulcanBagger forum but in my opinion there is no such thing as too much knowledge when asking for help)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, kind off. I brought the bike back to the dealer so they could fit new steering bearings (under warranty) and i let them have the bike for a couple of day’s. They checked everything they could and did not come across anything broken or loose. The bike runs different now then when i brought it in so when the rain here dies down i will take some test runs with the bike. Did you have any suggestions? I’m always open for advise.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
1. Where did you get that throttle body cleaning procedure?
2. Post back if you still have the issue after the test ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From another Vulcan Nomad forum.
The bike runs fine now, it was probably a lose hose or electrical plug, disconnected all and fastened again, now it’s running fine.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree! Whoever said to spray ten seconds worth of carb cleaner into a running engine obviously has no understanding of flooding the combustion chambers with a mix of Acetone, Xylene, Toluene, Methyl Ethyl Keotone, Propane, and other nasty stuff. Plus, Acetone in spray form is highly combustible (like flame coming back out the intake). Plus the added flood of combustibles in the combustion chamber could raise the cylinder pressure way high.

Cleaning the throttle body butterflies IS worthwhile. One aspect of fuel injected bikes with throttle bodies (depending on how the crankcase fumes are ventilated back into the intake) is the edges of the butterflies can build up a sticky oil like residue that can actually seal the butterfly into the intake, and starve the engine to stall at idle. When that happens, some cleaning of the butterflies in the solution. I know this because it happened on my BMW R1100RS. It ran great, started fine, but would randomly stall at idle. So I cleaned the throttle body butterflies and no more stalling.

All that is needed to clean the throttle body butterflies are some long Q-Tips and isopropol alcohol. Remove the air cleaner, lock the throttle wide open, douse the Q-tip in alcohol, and wipe it around the edges and surfaces of each butterfly. Do both sides and edges of each butterfly, and around the throttle body intake where the butterfly closes against the body. Then use a product like Seafoam or Techron in the fuel tank. That's all that is needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts