Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us who change oil often and dont like spending 40-50 dollars every time:I now have 18,000 trouble free miles useing Rotell T 15/40 motor oil,It has preformed fine and have no clutch slipping or anything else other than great performance.My filter has been the Phram 1773 filter,oil and filter are 26.00$ at walmart.The owners manual states any oil that is the MA,MA1,or MA2 Rating is the ''Recommended Oil'' Rotella has the jaso MA rating and the SM rating. My Kaw mechanic says it is fine to use this oil in this engine as well!I change every 3000-3500 mls and oil is good and dark brown when changed and looks as though I could run it to 4000mls but I dont!;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm running a penrite gas 10 (10-50) at the moment. High zinc content. But I find it's a little clunky with the gear box. I'll go to our version of the rotell 15-40 at about 5000km (3000 miles). I use the Rotell in my 4T dirt bikes - works very well. I tried it in the cars as well, but not that good. The best thing about the rotell is how it withstands the gearbox thrashing of the oil. If I had a separate gearbox, I'd stick to the penrite.

·
Registered
87 Posts
AMSOIL 5 quarts 10w40 and filter $74.95 Service life is twice regular intervals so that works out to be $37.48 for each normal oil change.

But if your oil works for you, keep using it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Rotella

For those of us who change oil often and dont like spending 40-50 dollars every time:I now have 18,000 trouble free miles useing Rotell T 15/40 motor oil,It has preformed fine and have no clutch slipping or anything else other than great performance.My filter has been the Phram 1773 filter,oil and filter are 26.00$ at walmart.The owners manual states any oil that is the MA,MA1,or MA2 Rating is the ''Recommended Oil'' Rotella has the jaso MA rating and the SM rating. My Kaw mechanic says it is fine to use this oil in this engine as well!I change every 3000-3500 mls and oil is good and dark brown when changed and looks as though I could run it to 4000mls but I dont!;)
Eric
I've used Rotella for several years now totally about 50,000 miles even before they got the JASO rating. I've been running it for 5000 miles between changes with no problems. Just info.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Amsoil

AMSOIL 5 quarts 10w40 and filter $74.95 Service life is twice regular intervals so that works out to be $37.48 for each normal oil change.

But if your oil works for you, keep using it.
MLKN
Just food for thought. I had a 1800 Goldwing that I ran the Amsoil for the recommend duration and filter changes, 15,000 mi and 2 filters. The wing started burning oil, nothing I could do to stop it. Had to trade the bike. Amsoil's a fine product, and maybe they don't recommend 15,000 miles any more.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Right from the AMSOIL website for the 10w40

SERVICE LIFE
For “on-road” use in engines and transmissions, change AMSOIL MCF and AMSOIL engine oil filter at twice the motorcycle manufacturer change interval or one year, whichever comes first. Change other brand oil filters at standard intervals.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Our local dealer is charging $169.95 to change oil with dino kawa brand. I bought an oil drain pan and fill funnel for 18.00 and am going to use the Rotella next time. Filter $2.33 Oil$17.50 for a 5 liter jug. Im going to save $150.00

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our local dealer is charging $169.95 to change oil with dino kawa brand. I bought an oil drain pan and fill funnel for 18.00 and am going to use the Rotella next time. Filter $2.33 Oil$17.50 for a 5 liter jug. Im going to save $150.00
I new Id get responses from amsoil folks and thats allright,Im just giving results from using oil that is approved by manufacture and Rottela as far as I can tell is the only one thats a car oil that has the jaso MA rating that the owners manual says thell accept for use in motorcycles,DRNO I think you'll find this oil to be a high quality oil.Just changed mine today at 3600mls and still looks good and feels like it has a lot of life left,but my 3000ml oil changing habit is hard to break Good Luck Eric;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know the guys at the intruderalert.com forum I read for my Suzuki VS1400 love the Rotella T6, I put it in my Intruder earlier this year and haven't had any issues yet. Glad to see there's good feedback on it for the Vulcan 1700's as well.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Oil Changes

It's a dirty job, but somebodies got to do it. Been doing it myself for a long time because of the dealer cost, and in my experience someone else never uses as much care as I do. To date I've probably got 60,000 miles between two different bikes on Rotella, neither has exhibited any problems.

·
Registered
392 Posts
my 2 cents:

-some dealers charge ridiculous prices for oil changes, this drove me to change my own on my vn2000, just based on principle. thera are many affordable oil brand options that are good and trustworthy, and i would not go 15,000 miles between oil changes period, it's just not needed.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
WOW...$169.95 fer an earl change??!! I get peeps that complain of my $107.06 earl change (includes a TUV approved oil filter and full AMSOIL) and that includes 6% sales tax. I'm gonna print this out and show it to the complainers!!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
900 Posts
WOW...$169.95 fer an earl change??!! I get peeps that complain of my $107.06 earl change (includes a TUV approved oil filter and full AMSOIL) and that includes 6% sales tax. I'm gonna print this out and show it to the complainers!!

RACNRAY
I even had to supply my own vasoline.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lots of opinions on this topic. Mine is Rotella (SRT) synthetic every 5K. 5K intervals make it easy to remember when to change it.

Lots of factual info here.
BobIsTheOilGuy.com \Forums \Oil analysis reports \Used Oil analysis.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts