Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I'm on my way into work, loving the ride (like every day!). I stop at the light at the end of the neighborhood and wonder which route I should take... there's the fast route (but uses a toll road) and the longer route (which has no toll).

The light was red so I unzipped my jacket and pulled out my iPhone from the one inner pocket on the jacket, just to see the time on it (since I don't wear a watch). Time was good... plenty of time to take the longer route... check. So I start putting the phone back into the pocket and it won't go in. My left hand is holding in the clutch and my right hand is trying to get the phone into the pocket.

So I glance down... and realize that is totally useless as I'm wearing my full-face helmet. DOH! :eek: Then I glance up, and the light just turned green. Double-DOH! :eek::eek:

I have a moment of panic and three options run through my brain in about 1/2 second: Option 1: let go with my left hand and use both hands to get the phone in. Option 2: just hold the phone in my right hand and try to negotiate the throttle with a hand full of phone. Option 3: drop the phone in the jacket (but not the pocket) and hope/pray it doesn't fall out onto the road.

Then I took a breath, calmed down, and realized that the cars behind me can just wait a few seconds. I thankfully didn't do option 1, as that could have just been bad all over. I skipped the other two as well and went for #4: to take my time and wait until I got the phone back in the pocket and the jacket zipped up. Then two hands on the bike and forward I went. Whew!

As I rode in, I thought about it and realized I had made a couple of really stupid errors... First, thinking that I could just "check something" unrelated to biking at a traffic light... like I used to do in the car. Second, forgetting that my full-face lid means I can't look down at the front of my jacket. At all! And third, not thinking that I could have at least anticipated and put it in neutral before pulling the phone out. That would have at least given me two hands.

My main take-away, though: if I need to check something like that again... even if it's just a quick check, I can always pull over to the side or a side street or something. Then I can focus fully on the phone until it's done, then refocus fully on the ride/road.

Lesson absorbed.

-Danimal :eek:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Soooo.....your new handlebar mounted clock has been ordered and is on the way right?

Cell phones are dangerous enough in a car. They have no place in our hands when we are on our bikes. I throw mine in the saddle bag with my other unneeded at the time possessions and that way, I'm not tempted.

Danimal, I'm glad it worked out for the best for you and thanks for posting this. If for no other reason than to remind us not to perform these dangerous acts when enjoying our beloved rides. Be safe out there and keep it about the ride. That's what really matters

·
Registered
101 Posts
Which Vulcan do you ride?

The 900, or at least my 900 classic, has a clock in the odometer. I just switch it to clock when on my way to work. I guess I assumed all Vulcans had that then.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mine is mounted to my Ram-Mount X-grip. It's not that I need the phone but I use it as my GPS while riding in unfamiliar territory and I frequently just shut data off to prevent emails, etc. from even coming in. I agree, never in my hands although I'll admit I have done the same thing and :
1. You did the right thing in not rushing
2. Good thing those behind you were watching you and not the light

I'm sure we have all seen a rear-ender that happened because someone didn't move away from the light fast enough. I cannot tell you how many times I have watched cagers start rolling up behind me before I accelerate away from a light. Makes me super nervous.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which Vulcan do you ride?

The 900, or at least my 900 classic, has a clock in the odometer. I just switch it to clock when on my way to work. I guess I assumed all Vulcans had that then.
I have a 500 LTD. No clock. But I'm definitely going to be getting one now.

-Danimal :glasses-cool:

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
Well Danimal, I can clear this all up.

When on your bike you ALWAYS take the long way.

No need to thank me.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Or your wrist.
+1 lol.

Actually, I bought a RAM mount from Bass Pro Shop to put on my handlebars. It's universal, so I can put either my GPS or my phone in it. Great for accessing either, and especially when I wear my full-face which has my BT headset in it. Cost about $40, but has been completely worth it.

Glad those cars didn't assist you across the intersection. I'm always afraid of that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Danimal, I can clear this all up.

When on your bike you ALWAYS take the long way.

No need to thank me.
:)

I can definitely resonate with that.

It's not a timepiece issue, it's a "why am I worrying about this meeting" issue. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ended up getting this...

http://amzn.com/B00ECGWRHC

I was gonna just get a cheap-o watch/clock but for only $16, this is a great deal. looks really sharp on the bike... like it was part of it originally.

And it glows in the dark.

'Course now I can't be late for meetings and claim I didn't know. hehe. :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Soooo.....your new handlebar mounted clock has been ordered and is on the way right?
What he said. Bahah..

Anywho. I wear a wrist watch when I ride. My phone stays in the glove compartment as per say on my Vaquero and don't come out until I run out of gas :D

·
Registered
738 Posts
So in our state you can get ticketed, if your in your car at a light looking down screwing on your phone.

If your on a bike, you should get double ticketed, that can cause very bad things.
Even if your phone is on the handlebars you shouldnt access anything on it.
WE all know distracted driving now you want to do it on two wheels!??! Even at a stop - no.

There's this new thing - a clock you can wear on your wrist with an adjustable band.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think the main point is, lesson learned. Do it again and I might be a lot more critical. My wife loves to call me when I am riding. I ignore the phone until I am off the bike. I have tried to explain that to her, but nothing like calling me when I am a few blocks, or less, from the house to ask when I am coming home.

Every time I let some little thing distract me when riding I am thankful I got away with it. Staying concentrated on my riding seems like a good way to stay alive and in one piece.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I keep my phone in the jacket side pocket, but never touch it when riding. I can hear it ring in there. In fact, it has a way of waiting all day until I am riding, then it rings. :curse:

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
$10 watch from Wally World and stick it on the H-bars..... or just check the time before you leave home........ :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts