Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!

Rode to work today... first time since I picked up the custom. Loved it, great way to start a Friday.

Just had to share.

Anyone else ride to work? I hope to be able to all summer/fall...

truckie453

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm not a biker, I'm a commuter and yes it is my preferred method all year long. The roads only need to be ice/snow free and I do tend to take the truck on wet days. I dont' mind getting wet on the way home but working in soggy clothes stinks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ride to work every chance I get! Its a short commute only about 20 minutes but riding in is always a great way to start out the day.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Ever notice how long that 20 minutes can get when it's 20 degrees out? Man that wind is cold. Last year I got Gerbing Gloves and was ready to kick winter square in the Nutz, and then it snowed from Christmas eve till I had my shoulder operation in February.

Longest winter I can remember.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Ever notice how long that 20 minutes can get when it's 20 degrees out? Man that wind is cold. Last year I got Gerbing Gloves and was ready to kick winter square in the Nutz, and then it snowed from Christmas eve till I had my shoulder operation in February.

Longest winter I can remember.
Amen to that. I've done a few 18-20 degree short rides and it doesn't take long to cool you way down. Back in November I did an overnight 400 mile run to Atlanta at about 38 degrees. It was a fun trip, but I was not adequately equipped for it. Since then I've picked up a heated jacket, good insulated/water/windproof pants, and a set of Hippo Hands. Short of snow on the ground, I doubt much will keep me off the bike this year.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I ride every day that I can, and will risk a chance of rain usually (40% or less) if I'm guaranteed a dry ride in. Soggy "dress casual" doesn't work out too well...

Not only do I enjoy the commute more, but I also get 10+ or better MPG over my toaster, and I don't have to feel as guilty on the ozone alert days. I get an added bonus with that hour long lunch break/ride daily too, and it's a handy dodge when people are looking for some chump to "pick me up something while you're out?"! :D

I'm not quite as tough as Mr. Clean, though, as I won't ride under 38 degrees. No windshield, no chaps, no heated gloves. 38 is even pushing the limits, so I hope for mid 40's on the ride home.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Depending on what part of OK you're in you still get a pretty large chunk of the year to ride then. How often is it in the mid 30's where you live?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am jealous of you guys who can ride all year, and I am in awe of you guys who ride in the cold... I've gotta work my up to that.

That being said, I am gonna ride the snot out of my custom all summer/fall.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I ride every day that I can, and will risk a chance of rain usually (40% or less) if I'm guaranteed a dry ride in. Soggy "dress casual" doesn't work out too well...
Why not grab some decent rain gear to keep with you? I have a lightweight rain jacket and pants that take up a small percentage of the space in my tank bag and are always there if I need them. They serve double duty as my backpacking rain gear when needed as well.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Hey All!

Rode to work today... first time since I picked up the custom. Loved it, great way to start a Friday.

Just had to share.

Anyone else ride to work? I hope to be able to all summer/fall...

truckie453
I ride to work everyday I can, about 3 weeks ago my windshield was iced over and I had to lay a towel over my ice-covered seat......by the time I got to work it had warmed up to +4 (Celsius). I realized that day....I was too old for that.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
I kinda agree with the other comments that have already been made. I ride my bike almost everyday to work unless it’s raining (or will rain) and it’s not too windy. I’ve been riding just over a year now. In that time I’ve put almost 7k miles on my 09 Classic. Riding to work is the best part about going to work :) - and besides, I get 2 times as much MPG on the bike compared to my car and 4 times compared to my truck – so riding to work is easier in my wallet. Ride safe!

·
Registered
782 Posts
I rode this morning too. Looks like 30% chance of showers is turning into 100% chance of needing dry clothes when I get home. But oh well, as Carl Edwards once said about his race care, I got to ride today... it is a GOOD day!:D

PS- I have found out that fog can be as bad a rain on the ride in. Spent one morning with water dripping from my knees down because it was foggier at work than at my house. My commute is 50 minutes so sometimes I get fooled. :eek:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Depending on what part of OK you're in you still get a pretty large chunk of the year to ride then. How often is it in the mid 30's where you live?
I don't have any months that are completely closed to riding, but we do get quite a few brisk mornings. This year, we had almost a month of sub-freezing overnight lows, with quite a bit of snow. I still ride late into the seasons though.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Why not grab some decent rain gear to keep with you? I have a lightweight rain jacket and pants that take up a small percentage of the space in my tank bag and are always there if I need them. They serve double duty as my backpacking rain gear when needed as well.
I have some light raingear as well, but water still finds a way to seep in somewhere. I have no shield, no lowers, no bubble... so I tend to avoid those "guaranteed" rainy days. ;)

I guess you could say I'm not the bar-hopping biker, but I'm not the die-hard either. I still find a way to get in 10k+ miles per year though. :D

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Fair enough. I do have a small shield, but no lowers or anything like that. The jacket and pants seem to keep just about everything out. A tiny bit of leakage around the ankles, but only enough to bother me on very long trips. If I'm going to be out for an hour or so in heavy rain, I'll throw a pair of gaiters on to seal that entirely.

I don't average any more mileage than you do, but that's partly because my work commute is only about 4 miles each way. If I get a thousand in a month it usually means I had a longer trip added in somewhere or I just found some extra excuses to ride for a few hours.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I almost hate to ride to work due to the fact that it is only about 8 minutes away. I always want to keep riding and just get depressed when I have to pull into the lot. Besides that there are tons of Harleys at my workplace and of course I hear all of the comments, "imitater, jap bike" blah blah..

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I almost hate to ride to work due to the fact that it is only about 8 minutes away. I always want to keep riding and just get depressed when I have to pull into the lot. Besides that there are tons of Harleys at my workplace and of course I hear all of the comments, "imitater, jap bike" blah blah..
Don't worry about the haters... the smile on your face when you are riding is just a wide and you didn't have to pay an arm and a leg to get it. :D

more money for accessories...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Oh yes, I ride the 9'er to work as often as possible. This year we had an early spring so I started in March, and last fall I rode until almost Thanksgiving time. Rain/Fog usually keeps me out of it, but temperatures usually do not. I'll ride in in the morning even if temp is down close to 30, as long as I can expect the afternoon to be up into the 40's or better.

And like Jeep Pirate, I have a longish commute to work so riding not only saves on my fuel bill (2x mileage compared to car) but also wear and tear on the cage's tires, all too frequent oil changes, and takes my usual dreary commute and makes it into somewhat of an adventure. Since resuming riding again in March, I've put over 4k miles on the 900, of which I'll bet 3,000 or better of that is just back and forth to work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Keeping dry

is my goal. I'm a new rider and don't want to add traction issues while I'm still gaining confidence. Plus there's the soggy dress casuals thing, too, if it rains on the way to work. Sooner or later I'm sure I'll get caught out in rain (fog, hail,...) and getting some practice time in whle it's raining, before I need the skills, is something I really want to do.

As to low miles because of a short commute: I ride every chance I get, it's 45 minutes each way but sometimes I get "lost" :D on the way home...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts