Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rode my 2000 for the first time in about ten days...

and within three minutes of turning out the driveway onto the road I was saying to myself: "Boy! this thing needs taller gearing....what where they thinking when they geared this bike liked this?"

I know it's something of a worn out topic, and I know what 'the cure' is, and will almost certainly be doing something about it by spring, I just need to remind myself every once in a while.

;)

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
and within three minutes of turning out the driveway onto the road I was saying to myself: "Boy! this thing needs taller gearing....what where they thinking when they geared this bike liked this?" ;)
the proverbial "they" was thinking that all 'merikans are all dragsters, stop lite tire burners with a bent on blowin hardleys off the road.. tsk, tsk, tsk.. dont need no v2k for that..
'sides launching this monster in 1st is granny gear. 2nd would make more sense if you want to impress yorself or the occasional DB on hardley.. send em home with tail tween thier legs.. gott blowed away by japkrap, need to sink another thou or two in their john deer tractor..

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's certainly a strong-running old Rhino, but it ain't really a fast bike even with their stupid short gearing, so it's all pretty pointless. I got a 2000+ cc mosickle here that I don't like to run much over 70 (indicated even) on because it's over-revving for the job it's doing.

By Jupiter! she's gonna get 'the treatment' Poncho, I swear! Then we can lope down the highway the way God intended this beast to do.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It's certainly a strong-running old Rhino, but it ain't really a fast bike even with their stupid short gearing, so it's all pretty pointless. I got a 2000+ cc mosickle here that I don't like to run much over 70 (indicated even) on because it's over-revving for the job it's doing.

By Jupiter! she's gonna get 'the treatment' Poncho, I swear! Then we can lope down the highway the way God intended this beast to do.
Hey JB, no the short gearing you guys get would make them slower in top speed, and in all gears. We here in Aussieland get the euro gearing stock, I think Kawa was a bit scared you guys might hurt yourselves if you go to fast on those big flat dead straight slabs you have over there :)
Yeah give her the full treatment JB cause these 2000s fly, I had mine up to 200Kph (on the speedo) on the weekend easily and was just cruising at 140 to 180 most of day running with the Busas, Yamaha R1, Triumph Tripple and many others, its an absolute blast of a bike, if only I had a bit more ground clearance. Oh well.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey JB, no the short gearing you guys get would make them slower in top speed, and in all gears. We here in Aussieland get the euro gearing stock, I think Kawa was a bit scared you guys might hurt yourselves if you go to fast on those big flat dead straight slabs you have over there :)
Yeah give her the full treatment JB cause these 2000s fly, I had mine up to 200Kph (on the speedo) on the weekend easily and was just cruising at 140 to 180 most of day running with the Busas, Yamaha R1, Triumph Tripple and many others, its an absolute blast of a bike, if only I had a bit more ground clearance. Oh well.
If I want to 'fly' I'll take my ZX14 ;) The only way a Vulcan 2000 will run with the Busas and R1's is if the riders of those machines choose not go faster than the Vulcan can. My 6 speed ZX14 will go faster in third gear than my Vulcan can flat out in fifth.

But all that's meaningless in this context, I just want my 2000 to run at a lower rpm at normal highway speeds and feel more relaxed doing it. I'll do it with the eventual installation of the euro gears.

·
Registered
127 Posts
70 teeth !!

I've never ridden a stock V2K, but the PO of my bike put a "70-tooth" rear sprocket on it and I'd say it's geared just about right. There's a receipt for $429 to 4X4tuff for the sprocket stuck in the service manual he gave me with the bike.

He also gave me the stock sprocket, which is really weird looking. The "70-tooth" (I haven't counted the teeth) is real purty. I think it's chromed and it has straight spokes instead of the strange slots the stock one has.

This sounds way easier than re-gearing the bike, and I'd be really surprised if you thought the gearing was way off with this sprocket. The bike has enough pep to be doing the speed limit at the end of any on-ramp and it cruises very smoothly at 90 on the highway.

HOWEVER: I have no desire to go fast on this bike. If that is your goal, maybe gearing would be better, I don't know. In my opinion, if you want to go fast, you should ride something else. This thing is dangerous when it gets moving faster than the speed limit on most roads. I feel safer (much safer) at 150 on my ZX-14 than at 60 on this V2K anywhere but on an open highway.

I just installed some drag bars and that improved the riding position a lot. The tank is backwards (fat in the FRONT!) so you can't put clip-ons on it. (maybe I could turn it around? Hmmm...) I'm in the process of making some rearsets for it, raising the seat height to about 32" and putting a tank bag on it, but I have to sh*tcan this aberration of an exhaust to get it up and out of the way, first. All this is just so I can sit in this bike rather than on it, and try to get rid of the creepy, detached, distant feeling I get from what's going on with this bike while I'm riding it.

I bet my box of Vulcan crap weighs more than Poncho's, although I haven't done any of the cool stuff he has, like put the brake caliper in the V. That is so cool.

Anyway - got off track - maybe try a pulley first. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Dammit guys, I had put this one to sleep last yr, but now Im thinking about it again!!!!
Wont I lose a lot of oomph in 1st and 2nd with euros, maybe 3rd as well, maybe this will get me back to last yr resolution??-----unless that's just not true.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Dammit guys, I had put this one to sleep last yr, but now Im thinking about it again!!!!
Wont I lose a lot of oomph in 1st and 2nd with euros, maybe 3rd as well, maybe this will get me back to last yr resolution??-----unless that's just not true.
NO. u will not loose any oomphh.. this beast has plenty oomph to spare.. sides u dont ride in those gears now,, but will after yor sex, er.. gear change.. all them lower gears are now useful. you can troll at low speed and w/o over rev the motor. walking this thing around in traffic is now a breeze and she is fairly sure footed if you are smooth with your steering and throttle inputs.. its like dancing w/a bear.. all soff n fuzzy.. horrible breath tho from eating all kinds of schitt.:eek:

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I bet my box of Vulcan crap weighs more than Poncho's, although I haven't done any of the cool stuff he has, like put the brake caliper in the V. That is so cool.
doom'ite,, U gotta change up them pipes, rid the muffelletos to fit the brake'it in the V, it conflicts with the stock muff hanger thingy..
If you wanna do this, send me yor Brakitt, I will send you mine.. I have cut down several for fellas on this 4m.. poncho

Attachments

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HOWEVER: I have no desire to go fast on this bike. If that is your goal, maybe gearing would be better, I don't know. In my opinion, if you want to go fast, you should ride something else. This thing is dangerous when it gets moving faster than the speed limit on most roads. I feel safer (much safer) at 150 on my ZX-14 than at 60 on this V2K anywhere but on an open highway.
I don't want to ride it any faster than I do now, I never said that I did. My speed range on the V2K is up to about 80 indicated on the interstate, I seldom ride it any faster than that, and I might add that it's fine at that speed on the relatively straight, smooth, superslab. I usually run the bike in 5th from 50 mph at the lowest (on level roads with no 'load' ), up to about 70 on my casual rides on it. With euro gearing, I'd probably be able to 'up' the lowest 5th gear speed to 60.

The V2K is the Clydesdale of cruiser motorcycles, friendly, powerful, but nothing to run in the Kentucky Derby, euro gearing would just allow it to gallup along a little slower for any given speed. I find that it's a very relaxing motorcycle to ride, and I'm never in any hurry to get someplace when I'm on it.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Clyde and Crew.. or is it Claudette.?

The V2K is the Clydesdale of cruiser motorcycles, friendly, powerful, but nothing to run in the Kentucky Derby, euro gearing would just allow it to gallup along a little slower for any given speed. I find that it's a very relaxing motorcycle to ride, and I'm never in any hurry to get someplace when I'm on it.
texas kawboys round em up.. goin for a beer run. poncho

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
There ya go Poncho :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
I stopped lookin' for 6th a while ago !
It runs so smooth & jumps when I twist it and gets good mileage with the stock gearing.
As an aside,I changed the gearing on my Stratoliner by installing a smaller rear sprocket.
I did it of coarse to get the taller gearing that everyone was raving about.
However it didn't work out like I thought it would.
Sure,I got lower RPM's at 80mph and 1st & 2nd are more useful.
I found that on my favorite state & county roads that I usually can cruise in 5th that I was now in 4th.
I also found that my MPG wasn't any better at 80+ like I thought it would be.
I think a lot of you guys who gripe about the gearing live in area's where everyone seems to cruise at 80+ in their SUV's.
I'm glad that I don't live where you do.

JJ

·
Registered
127 Posts
Caliper

doom'ite,, U gotta change up them pipes, rid the muffelletos to fit the brake'it in the V, it conflicts with the stock muff hanger thingy..
If you wanna do this, send me yor Brakitt, I will send you mine.. I have cut down several for fellas on this 4m.. poncho
With these pics, I'm SURE I can do it. Hell of a nice gesture tho, thanks. My new pipes will clear easy, just gotta get out the welder and get to work. This looks soooo clean. Wonder why nobody at Kawi thot of it. Any downside to it?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Euros

I don't want to ride it any faster than I do now, I never said that I did. My speed range on the V2K is up to about 80 indicated on the interstate, I seldom ride it any faster than that, and I might add that it's fine at that speed on the relatively straight, smooth, superslab. I usually run the bike in 5th from 50 mph at the lowest (on level roads with no 'load' ), up to about 70 on my casual rides on it. With euro gearing, I'd probably be able to 'up' the lowest 5th gear speed to 60.

Gotcha. Just saying that re-gearing has the advantage of leaving first where it's at and spreading the shifts farther apart. This would give you better acceleration than a pulley, which shifts all the gears up. So a performance-oriented rider may prefer the gearing option, but from what you say, you'd probably be happy with a pulley. Unless you just want to open your tranny up to inspect it or something.

Nice that you find the V2K relaxing. Out on the highway, I do too. In town, its still pretty unnerving for me. Working on that tho...

·
Registered
132 Posts
On test drive first day I thought 1st was ridiculous, havent used it since. 2nd 3rd seemed bit revy on that first ride too, not a deal breaker mind, 4th boomed me away to 5th-liked those 2 cogs for sure , wanted others a bit more like!
4th out of a long curved bend was what hooked me , loved it.
Besides Im Irish, shouldnt I have euro gears--------?
long as I could ease into [new] 5th around 60mph/100kph and it wouldnt impact our 2up riding, Im giving it serious consideration.
Would it make me member of some elite club/perks-no-damn.
Looking at some of pics, some of you have done great work on your v2ks over time, really nice.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think a lot of you guys who gripe about the gearing live in area's where everyone seems to cruise at 80+ in their SUV's.
I'm glad that I don't live where you do.
JJ
The interstates in South Dakota are posted at 75 mph with traffic often moving at 80. In order to do the 75 mph interstate speed limit and roll with traffic, my V2K, with it's lying-ass speedometer, will need to be indicating between 82-85 mph, and closer to 90 to be moving at a true 80.

Being on the very eastern slope of the Black Hills, I live in a great motorcycle riding area with some of the most picturesque and pleasant secondary roads in America. Most riders would be lucky to have such a fantastic riding area to play in like I do literally at my doorstep, but the fact remains that the V2K is needlessly short-geared regardless of location, and although it's fine for some owners, it's not fine for others, and it can be easily remedied if one is willing to spend a few hundred dollars and diddle around with the bike for half a day. If the result is not what I want, I'll just put it back to American-spec and sell the euro-gears to someone else. The 'risk' is minimal.

·
Registered
370 Posts
On test drive first day I thought 1st was ridiculous, havent used it since. 2nd 3rd seemed bit revy on that first ride too, not a deal breaker mind, 4th boomed me away to 5th-liked those 2 cogs for sure , wanted others a bit more like!
4th out of a long curved bend was what hooked me , loved it.
Besides Im Irish, shouldnt I have euro gears--------?long as I could ease into [new] 5th around 60mph/100kph and it wouldnt impact our 2up riding, Im giving it serious consideration.
Would it make me member of some elite club/perks-no-damn.
Looking at some of pics, some of you have done great work on your v2ks over time, really nice.
Check the specs of your bike in whatever country you happen to live and if they are like specs below, you have euro gears apparently.

Thought I would check on Australian/NZ specs to see what gears it has, and it seems the Aussie models already have the euro gears.

From the specs

Final Drive Ratio
2.454 (48/44 x 72/32 )

The 48/44 is the euro teeth count.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts