Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Rockford Fosgate

5K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  wbilotta 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
You didnt say for what? First of all, that amp is gonna draw current.....you are going to have to hook it straight up to the battery with a remote switch running from your radio or cd. You can expect a burden on your charging system if you hook it up any other way and still a burden regardless......amps suck up current and depending on your speaker load the draw could be more or less. How many speakers? How big are the speakers in wattage? How are the speakers mounted? Thats the key.....you are only going to get so much sound out of a motorcycle system without distortion, so I would go with a smaller micro amp and better speaker enclosures rather than massive watts with cheesy speakers and enclosures. You need to be a bit more specific 75 watts per channel........really? Those MC speakers will sound like a cracker box at 30 watts................hope this helps. fyi Ive done auto sound systems for over 30 years.

#3 ·
I'm running the RF amp and it's awesome! Polk Audio speakers front and rear. I've never had a problem with the current draw. This design is lower current draw than many other amps.

#5 · (Edited)
I have the same setup Brucer. I copied Yours with the same products. Never have any problems with my 09 voyager that is still on original battery. I have a lot of other power hungry mods also. Heated seats, power port. Cig lighter, HID lights on crash bar, Run with the stock driving lights all the time. GPS always on. LED lights. Trailer pulled with extra lights on it. I think the charging system is more than capable.

#7 ·
ihatepunks - right now I've got a pair of kicker PS5250s. My plan is to add a couple of rear speakers as well. I had a couple of Power Pucks on the 5250s with pretty darn good results but that's not the way I'm going to go.

Thanks, all. I'll probably pull the switch on this today. Unless a butterfly or something flies by and distracts me...

#9 ·
I read the other fellas replies and not being one to argue with success, if you have a similar bike then go for it.......my only advice is for any sound system to avoid the typical motorcycle cracker box sound, invest in good applicable enclosures for the speakers, and good sun woofers so that you can get the best full and sub base performance....most scoots I've heard dont do so and only have mid and high performance, thus sounding cracker box.................best wishes with your project.

#10 ·
I put in the fosgate amp on my vaquero and speakers. The amp is fine and works well. The problem I have are the speakers. I've tried polk, kickers, and JL Audio. None of them sounded good to me they all kept breaking up and distorting. I've tried countless configurations with them and wound up leaving the stock speakers in as the distorted the least. :confused: I understand you will only get so much out of a 5 1/4" speaker. To have the amp turned almost down to 1 is annoying and confusing at best. I know what good sound is. This is not my first go with audio in my home or car. Now if there was a way without getting crazy to put in a larger speaker that can really handle the amp, that would be great. IE: 5x7, 6", or 6 1/2"

#11 ·
What you are probably missing is the bass and sub bass range, and there is really no way to get it unless you add a 5x7 or 8" sub woofer, and then only if that particular speaker was in an enclosure. Judging from the picture of your bike the only feasible way of doing such would be to utilize the rear hard case saddle bags. You would have to find the speaker you want that would fit, 5x7, 8" 10" sub woofer, build a custom BOX or buy an enclosure that would fit inside the hard case and mount it inside the case with a dedicated signal channel. It would then provide the deeper sub range you are missing, however I am not sure if the difference would be super duper with the motor running, although it would be substantial with the motor off.
Pyle Driver speakers function well in all sizes. Hope this helps.

#13 ·
I did buy the Polk model DX521 speakers, no amp. I had to turn the volume up much higher, but still couldnt match the output of the stock speakers. Also, I had to turn the bass down to -2 just to keep the distortion out. With the stock speakers, its set at +2. The frequency responce of the Polks is no where near the stock speakers. Will never have a thumping sound, but at least I'm not giving up 1/2 the sound I already have. Used the Polks about 4 days and reinstalled the stockers. The only time I notice any distortion with them is when God Smacks VooDoo is playing, which has a lot of bass. My setting are Bass +2, Mid +2, Treble +7, and speed control volume at +2. Normally keep volume between 12 and 15.

#14 ·
Rick I have mine set up like that now, except I have my treble turned up that high. You and I had the same problem. The only difference being I tried a lot of different speakers all with the same result.

#15 ·
So, I installed the Amp this weekend. It went well, easier than I thought. Glad someone here posted the instructions on how to get the fairing off, that helped immensely.

One thing I will say, and this is probably obvious to many but I'll point it out anyway. Be sure the Ohm rating of your speakers matches the amp. The Rocksford Fosgate wants 4 Ohm Speakers. The Kicker's I had in front where 2 Ohm Speakers. The Kicker's worked fantastic with the stock stereo, or even with the Power Pucks - but they sounded like crap with the Fosgate. The Polk DB's I had sitting on the shelf, however, were 4 Ohm Speakers and sounded great with the new Amp.

Still thinking about what I want to do for rear speakers...

#17 ·
The Bass Response is pretty incredible. I was surprised at how well the Polk's sounded with the amp. I am finding no need to adjust the Bass response at all with this setup.

I've ordered a pair of 4 Ohm Kickers, I'll post on how those sound when I get them.

#18 ·
The RF amp states in the instructions that 4 ohm are needed. This amp isn't stable to 2 ohm. If you decide you want to go back the Kickers, Kuryakyn sells them in a 4 ohm rating.

#20 ·
I used kickers and the polks both were 4 ohms. I went back to stock speakers as all the others did was distort. Had I known this I would never had gone with the amp. The only way to use those speakers was to turn the gain on the amp all the way down. At that point it doesn't pay to have it. They even distorted with bass all the way down to -3 with the gain on set on 2 for the amp. Very disappointed in the set up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.