Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1995 Vulcan 1500 with 9400 miles. I am trying to replace the rocker or valve cover gasket on the rear cylinder. The front cylinder was replaced at the dealer last year; however, I wanted to do this gasket myself to save money. I was able to remove the right side rocker chrome case cover( these have to be removed to access the rocker arm cover); however, I am trying to remove the left side rocker chrome case cover bolts( mainly the front). The bolt would hit into the lower part of the upper frame. I physically cannot remove the front bolt as there is no room to remove the bolt. I have been using the Clymer manual (M357-2) for instructions and pictures; however, their pictures show the procedure done with the engine removed from the bike and I am hoping that this does not have to be done to replace a gasket. Can anyone offer me any help to replace this gasket? I am tempted to slot a groove into the chrome rocker case cover to slide the case off as I am able to loosen the two bolts (but not remove them); however, I do not want to do this if it will not enable me to remove the rocker cover to access the gasket. Any information or help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive got a bad leak on my rear left side. It drips down off the exhaust bolts. Tought it was a leak from the head. But just now figured out it is the valve or rocker gaskets. Looks hard to replace. But I'm a metal fabricator I'm thinking of cutting the frame to get to the top of motor. Dont see why that will not work and be easier. Will let you no.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yes, typically you have to remove the engine to get access to the Valve covers. you can take some comfort in taking the opportunity of having the engine out of the frame to inspect and replace (or thorw away) the decompression mechanisms - KACR - as they can fail and cause some serious damage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts