Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Vulcan 900 Custom. When I went to grease the swing arm and noticed that there are no fittings. There are 3 stud locations on the rocker arm casting where the fittings should be but no holes for the fitting.

I have read about lots of issues with the grease fittings being broken off or falling out. Did Kawasaki do a design change and eliminate the grease fittings around the 2011 model year? How do you grease the swing arm without the fittings?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I believe that they eliminated them in 2010. I believe that the procedure now requires the swingarm to be removed (unfortunately) . Mine doesn’t have the fittings either.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My 07 only has one....speed bumps removed the other two. LOL. Ride On!!!! I put allan screws in the two broken spots after putting the grease fitting in and greasing it up. The fitting closest to the front won't drag on speed bumps since it is up and forward out of the way. If you don't have fittings its sealed so you should be good for a long long time.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Same on my 2013, you can see where they should be but nobody ever drilled any holes. I'm not going to worry about it until it starts talking back, which will probably be never.

·
Registered
847 Posts
My first service on my 07 had one broken off and one bent and one good one. I took the two obvious out and installed plugs. Now I take the plugs out and insert a zerk fitting for greasing, the put the plugs back in, 2010 they aqre no more...

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,856 Posts
I still have all three. Does it matter what kind of grease??????

·
Registered
847 Posts
I use a good lubricationg grease from the auto parts store. If it were for a Harley it would need to be in a Harley tube with the appropriate color and logo at $40.00 a tube.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,856 Posts
Ok here we go......................

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm thinking I'm going to take mine apart and drill and insert nipples. Then I can grease it easily. Just remove and install plugs

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been thinking the same thing Racer117. I know the removal doesn't look like that big a deal but still yet I want to drill the swing arm and also drill the neck, the shifter shaft, and the rear brake pedal shaft for grease fittings. My planned next winter project. :) By then mine will be due I figure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts