Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Roaring Toyz/twinz 13” handlebar install

A few thoughts
I dropped the bars a few times in my garage and there was no damage to them. They are high quality for sure.
If you have a taller windshield than stock they will not work, unless you pull the bars back so far they don’t have the appearance of apes anymore.
There is only 1 or 2 mm of clearance between the bars and the stock radio/inner fairing (down near the risers)
There are 4 plugs with 35 wires to extend, this means 70 splice/solder joints.
The stock length and loom will fit through the bars. We wrote down a wiring diagram for each plug and pushed out the connectors, ran the wiring internal and then made our extensions outside of the bars so if there is trouble it will be easy to get to.
The stock harness seems to be 20 or 22ga but the smallest “good” stranded wire I found locally we sourced from an electric supply co. was 18ga stranded thin wall, very good and almost the same size as the 20/22 that the factory harness was made from.
On the brake side there are two wires that are the same color/pattern….do not get them swapped, if so everything will work but the fuel pump and ecu…and when you get it fixed the damn tank with squirt pressurized gas in your eyes (true story)
Anything worth doing is worth doing with friends; it wouldn’t have been the same without my brothers.
I am really upset that the Klock Werks Flare shield won’t work with the bars, I am going to wait for the Corbin seat to show up and do some riding and measuring and make a decision from there. Maybe Chuckster can make me a set of risers that solves my clearance and ergonomic issues.

I threw away my old Avon grips and now have Black ISO Grips on the bike = I really like ISO grips they are my favorite, a little fatter, definitely less vibration. Ray did a great job modifying the throttle grip and getting them to me in time for my handlebar install, and gave good instructions on how to adjust the throttle cables. Funny thing is, both push and pull cables seem to be all the way loose at the grip side adjuster, but there really isn’t any play in the grip so my cables must be a little stretched out … I used some generic lithium grease to lube the inside of the throttle housing, and the throttle tube, cables bar.

These bars really change the pivot point for the center of gravity…I have always preferred apes, and this bike always seemed to have more of a sport bike stance than a touring cruiser to me…my last Honda had forward controls and 16” apes, so it was definitely an adjustment getting on the Vaquero. These bars aren’t “ape hangers”…I don’t think the guys at Roaring Toyz understand ape hangers and why they can be so comfortable. Now the bars are definitely lookers, and get lots of attention and compliments, but they don’t put your hands or your arms in the position ape hangers do….my grips are right at shoulder height and straight out in front of me, almost full reach (keeping my elbow straight), apes imo should be higher than shoulders, and come back closer to your body, allowing bend in elbows.

When I ordered the bars they told me they also made 9” “ape hangers” for the Vaquero, I can’t imagine how terrible they would be...i guess unless you were a very small guy.

Anyway that’s my thoughts on the matter, I am going to get this Corbin Young Guns in and see what I think, but will likely be in need of risers so I can use my Klock Werks Flare Windshield

The way they run the brake lines is janky as hell...line from master cyl to clutch side caliper with double banjo there and a bunny ear going over to the right side....so you have a funky hose hanging there....how much more difficult would it have been to get a new splitter with banjo connectors instead of press fit like stock lines were? i mean $600 bucks for the bars and 3 stainless steel braided lines and they are bunny eared?

Attachments

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
Good looking bike.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good looking bike.
Looks effing great. Hope you'll be able to keep the klock werks shield.

Thanks!

Chuckster referred me to Scootworks = Scootworks sending me some matte black phatrisers x series....should bring the bars up 2" and back 2" this will hopefully put my hands in a more comfortable spot and allow the use of the klockwerks shield

as always ill keep yall updated

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great lookin job, I installed mine a year ago and never got to extending all the wires through the bars, like you said, a ton of work, am now going back to the stock bars and will sell these bars, I believe I had better control with the stock bars, again, great job, looks awesome

1 - 5 of 5 Posts