Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All,

Nearly 2 feet of snow predicted tonight, so this question won't matter for a while :)

Hope it dosen't happen, But... When I had smaller, lighter bikes, never worried, but now with a 2K beast, I have been wondering how to handle a breakdown or flat. I have a pick-up, but would never be able to get her loaded. Don't have a bike trailer, but even if I did, it would take a crowd to load. The only thing that comes to mind is a JerDan slideback with a strap to the bike and winch up while sittin' on the bike to keep upright. Then strap down.

Anybody have other ideas?

Woody

·
Registered
538 Posts
With a bike that's not much smaller than a small car, you need road side assistance on your insurance. It's very inexpensive for the peace of mind it brings. Mine is only $9 a year extra. Get it and forget it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I too have the road side assistance with my insurance and I think it's the best way to go. But as a backup I have a small trailer. Never had my bike on it but I've hauled some of my friends bikes.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas. I don't remember if roadside is on my policy or not, but will check. If not, will be.

Now, if my $#%$# Verizon 3G connection will actually send my reply!

Woody

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Quick story about that....Went across the line into the USA summer of 2008.....Crossed at Shelby....Spent the night....In the morning had breakfast....Getting ready to leave and I happened to look at rear tire....cords showing...Bike just came from full service before trip...Ya i'm bad....I know better than that...Anyways, short story long....Waited 8 hours for a tow truck....towed into Great Falls.....Can't remember how many hundreds the tow bill was....Dealer closing by the time we got there.....I had CAA...Canadian Auto Association....Well it sure paid for itself that day....Glad i had it when i needed it.....Moral of the story.....Check your tires often.....Terry

·
Registered
129 Posts
Your issue is the biggest reason to join ROK club. I don't know if you hit the rallys where Kawasaki has a special booth for members but if for no other reason than the roadside assistance it's worth the membership. Keep in mind many dealerships are closed on Sundays and Mondays. ROK will refer you to the closest dealership.

·
Registered
409 Posts
What kind of truck do you have? Is it a regular box? If so, anything is possible. I once hauled a Honda Goldwing from BC to Alberta, up the Coquihalla highway in the back of a GMC Sonoma. ( I had extra leaf srings to hand the weight) The Vulcan 2000 weight is about the same as my Goldwing was....750lbs or so. Also, a motorcycle ramp is a very handy item to have, even if you only use it once a year. Some can be bought for about $100 depending on your area. I work at a bike shop and we once sold two Goldwings for parts bikes and we fit them in the back of a regular truck by taking off one saddlebag. I'll admit the truck was weighed down, but the guy didn't have far to drive. Anyway.... here was my truck...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Howdy...
Well, weight isn't the issue. My truck is a Dodge QuadCab 2500 Cummins turbo w/ 6 spd manual. It is a short bed so would need to have the tailgate down, maybe an extension too.
I worry about how to get it on the bed if the motor dies (but not a lot ;)
Maybe a wide ramp and a winch to pull it up.
It may be easier to call for a roll-back and strap it down...

Woody

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just 2 guys pushed my Goldwing up into the truck so it wasn't too hard. However the short box thing is not too good. My Sonoma had the regular 6 foot box and still the back wheel was half on the tailgate.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah... You are right. Figured if I do carry in bed I will *at least* need a u-channel to spread the load. Then there is still the issue of applying a high load to the tailgate while loading the bike up a simple ramp. I have found some commercial ramp assemblies that take care of that problem, but as much as they cost, I can call for help a lot!

Woody

·
Registered
77 Posts
HI, I drive tow trucks, and we seem to haul quite a few bikes, Use both the wheel lift trucks and the rollback for bikes. and of course the main thing is to NOT damage the bikes. on the roll back we have a tool with a bracket for the tire and outriggers with wheels that we can strap to, unit looks like a " T ". I would hope most companies would have something like it as long as they know they are coming for a bike . we dont carry ours on the truck all the time as its fairly large.
Praying for dry weather.
Rick

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Rick,

Good information, thanks. I think I will call around and see if I can find who (If anyone - rural area here) has bike rescue experience. Hope to never need it but good to be prepared.

We have had an unusually wet (and cold) Fall and Winter here this year. May as well be in WA ;) Its good for my well but I hate riding in the rain. It hit 45 yesterday and I put in a few miles. Its raining again today... A couple of summers back we had a drought. Naturally, I was between bikes.

I had an H2 many years back- Bought it in '72 as I recall. Put about 40K miles on it before selling. You are right - fun bike, if not a little scary at times. Especially one time on a cold morning. It always took a few seconds to make power when starting off cold. I gave it near full throttle and when it "turned-on", I discovered the carb slides were stuck open. Survived, but it was a little tricky reaching the ignition switch while accelerating hard down the road on one wheel. I fixed the slides! It was the fasted thing around until the 900 came out. Four stroke riders would often make fun of the 2-stroke rattle but I just told them it was easy to hear from behind me :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
LOL. Yep i had a few close calls with my H2 also. Had to go to court once for playing around on it. case got thrown out cause the judge didnt know what a wheelie was!! as i recall the factory said to top speed was 126 MPH,, I only took mine up 102, but it sure got there quick.

I got in a 3 hr ride yesterday too. but like you its suppose to rain here too. Take Care
Rick

·
Registered
553 Posts
What kind of truck do you have? Is it a regular box? If so, anything is possible. I once hauled a Honda Goldwing from BC to Alberta, up the Coquihalla highway in the back of a GMC Sonoma. ( I had extra leaf srings to hand the weight) The Vulcan 2000 weight is about the same as my Goldwing was....750lbs or so. Also, a motorcycle ramp is a very handy item to have, even if you only use it once a year. Some can be bought for about $100 depending on your area. I work at a bike shop and we once sold two Goldwings for parts bikes and we fit them in the back of a regular truck by taking off one saddlebag. I'll admit the truck was weighed down, but the guy didn't have far to drive. Anyway.... here was my truck...

I think a V2K is longer than that. I measured mine yesterday and it was 8 1/2 feet long. If that old gold wing was that long, I think the fender would be sticking out past the tailgate.

My buddy and I just bought a trailer this weekend. Nice and holds 2 bikes.
Hopefully we won't need it for emergencies, but. . .

·
Registered
409 Posts
Depends on where you are measuring from. Actual wheelbase or fender to fender is a lot longer. The wheelbase on the Goldwing was about 7 feet or a bit more since my box was a 6 foot box and the rear wheel was on the tailgate, but actually it was about 8 feet in total length.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Depends on where you are measuring from. Actual wheelbase or fender to fender is a lot longer. The wheelbase on the Goldwing was about 7 feet or a bit more since my box was a 6 foot box and the rear wheel was on the tailgate, but actually it was about 8 feet in total length.
Yup. Total length is what I'm talking about, not wheelbase.
I thought that looking at that pic, that it was about 8 ft. I'm thinking that the V2K is about 6 in. more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts