Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is only 1 week old and I have new pipes I just put on, it is a 2009, 2000cc classic Lt was told by dealer that this is common but really starting to dislike excessive popping and backfiring Please any suggestion will be appreciated.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
pop.. pop.. bang!

these motors are running way too lean these days as per epa requirements. they burn the fuel more thoroughly but the exhaust gas temps are pretty high and with all the metal restriction and catalyst there is sufficient residual heat in those pipes. When you roll off the throttle, minimal unburnt fuel does find its way thru the motor and into those overly high temp pipes where they get a second chance to ignite. its what you call pop..pop..bang!

solution(s).
1. get a fuel mgmt device to richen your mix. should be first, most guys do this last.
2. change the pipe system to something less restictive, with less mass to hold all that heat. most guys do this first for looks and sound.
3. change your intake to something less restrictive to improve breathing. this will only exasperate the situation w/o items 1 and 2 as more air w/same fuel = even leaner mix.
4. remove all non essential (everything but sparkplug wires) hoses and other trickery doodads, injector valves, factory gimmicks, etc as per gov regs to make your motor pc freindly. get rid of all that crap and you may not need steps 1, 2 or 3... even tho they be fun anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fuel Mgmt. device ?? which one do you suggest and as fer as air cleaner I was looking for something cool looking like the type that has the 2 butterfly ram air style. appreciate any sites and all suggestion I rode when younger 50 now and I,m loving the ride Again.

·
Registered
305 Posts
use a cobra FI2000R or a power commander or other fuel pack. They are all pretty easy to install and resonably priced. You dont want the bike to run too lean so fuel manegment is a plus. May not get rid of all the poping and backfire but it will definetly improve and cut down on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts