Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have learned that I do not like riding my Vulcan on a road that has been chewed up. It is when they scrape a layer off and the road is full of wavey grooves.
Being new with riding (since April), I have to say that it is currently the scariest experience to date because cars are always beside and behind me. I'm worried of hitting a bad groove and going down.

Does anyone else feel the same way riding on those grooves?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Joe,

I do not enjoy riding on the scraped roads either. My ability to control the bike is diminished in such circumstances. My suggestion is to avoid that road. I hope civilian life is treating you well. Thanks for serving!

Kendawg
1SG, US Army (Ret)

·
Registered
201 Posts
The first time I experienced that feeling I was a bit worried also. It certainly gets your attention fast! Funny thing is, after I replaced the stock Dunlops with another type of tire I rarely feel that "drift" even on grooved roads. Maybe you can test drive another nine with different tires and see if you like that better.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I went with the Pirelli MT66 series. Same sizes as the stock Dunlops both front and rear. Although when I have to replace them next year I think I will try the 170/80 on the rear for "gearing" changes. (Yes I know it doesn't change the actual gear ratios). I love the Pirelli tires and they made a world of difference on my nine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'll join the "I hate shredded roads" club. I don't ride on them if there is any other choice....same with "grated" bridges....

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'll add metal bridge decks to the road surfaces I hate!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Here in MN they like to throw down a layer of small pea gravel and let traffic wear it in. if you are unlucky enough to come upon one of these roads the first week after they dump the gravel, it can be a super interesting ride on a bike! Absolutely hate it!

·
Registered
343 Posts
They just pea rocked the road in front of are sub.I drive my bike every day except the last 2 because of this.I,m thinking of trying it today but the worst part is where it gets on the road going into the sub when you have to turn.That corner made my bike slide when I came home the first night & I was only going 15-20 mph down this road approaching that corner

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I have learned that I do not like riding my Vulcan on a road that has been chewed up. It is when they scrape a layer off and the road is full of wavey grooves.
Being new with riding (since April), I have to say that it is currently the scariest experience to date because cars are always beside and behind me. I'm worried of hitting a bad groove and going down.

Does anyone else feel the same way riding on those grooves?
Ground roads, metal grated bridge decks and tar snakes are the worst, try moving your wieght rearwards and accellerate slighly, takes the weight off the front wheel and reduces " wondering"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts