Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Road Rash

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Woodrow 
#1 ·
I am happy to be here as I dropped my 9 this morning on the way home from work, a car pull out and hit me on the back end of my bike I was in the middle south bound lane of a 6 lane hwy. I got a bad case of road rash and so did the 9 as she fell on the right side and slid about 70 feet, but I got to walk away, that makes 4 walk away accidents in the last 30 years, 3 involving a cager. I'm a lucky man.

#4 ·
glad you're able to write about it and that you're (for the most part) OK.

#6 ·
*CHEERS* for walking away. Hope the driver stopped and had amazing insurance!

#7 ·
Sorry about the mishap, but very good to hear that you're mostly ok. Out of curiosity, what gear were you wearing at the time, and what sort of speed?

Cheers,
Kerry

#9 ·
Shadowrider,
Last year I was on a trip in West Virginia and it had been upper 90's for several days so on this one occasion I was only going on some back roads a short distance and lower speeds so I stupidly justified not wearing my jacket. I always wear a helmet. I came around a turn and there was a large pothole in the center of the road, a car coming from the opposite direction and fine gravel covering everything else. I made it 90% of the way around the turn but my wheel went off the road and it was mud. Th enext thing I knew, I was laying on my back looking at the sky in the middle of the gravel. It took three hours at the hospital to get all the gravel ouot of my arm. The nurse said at first that I would need stitches but when it came down to it, there was nothing to stitch! Please consider at least wearing your helmet.

#10 ·
I'm currently looking for a jacket I can wear this time of year in Texas. I wear Sliders (the blue jean) for pants but don't know what to wear for a shirt. I always wear head gear. Any suggestions on light weight, vented shirt or jacket? I've a ride from Fort Worth to Lubbock next Tuesday and would like to get something. Thanks. Also, glad you were not hurt seriously.

#12 ·
#13 ·
Here in NC, where it is only 98 with 98% humidity, I use an Xelement CF-509 Mesh Sports Armored Motorcycle Jacket ($59.95 at Leather Up). This is a nylon mesh jacket with elbow, shoulder and back pads. Because it is a mesh, as long as you are moving, or there is a breeze, it is almost like not having a jacket on. And at highway speeds, it cuts down on the wind blowing directly on your skin.

#14 ·
Good to hear you where able to walk away. sorry to hear about your bike, gear or no gear, is your option, sounds like you might have to think about it, with your latest experience. I have done both, but always feel to vunerable without. Good does come out of this (I hope) her insurance should allow you to fix bike and add bling, and bling is always nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.