Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this on the Trips forum with no response so will try it here. Has anyone ridden I-80 between Des Moines and Salt Lake City and I-84 from SLC to Portland this summer? Looking for info on road conditions and any bad areas to look out for - (road construction, bad maintenance, badly grooved or any other hazards). Would also like an opinion and info on Hwy 12 from Yakima, Wa to I-5. Any info would be helpful. Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well being a former truck driver and have been on those roads I can say your in for some really big ass moutain passes and lots of rain. The rain is mostly in Oregon as I've had a lot of clear sky days when going west. I'm assuming your going to take I84 which is my fav road but I don't know if I'd want to try that on a motorcycle unless I liked 1000 foot cliffs lol

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
for the road conditions on I-84 in Idaho, go to 511.idaho.gov. It's typically very clear sailing all the way across the state, altho there will almost definitely be construction SOMEWHERE. But that means it a closed lane and 55 mph speed limit for a while. Traffic on I-84 in ID is not heavy enough for this to be a concern except in Boise during rush hour. They were doing a project on the east edge of Boise when I was through there in April. Probably still working on it, knowing ITD.

I wold like to recommend taking the US30 exit west of Green River (probably marked for Kemmerer, WY) and heading into Idaho that way. From there you can either continue west to Bear Lake and US89 in the extreme NE corner of Utah or northwest on US30 directly to Montpelier, ID. Bear Lake is beautiful, and if you go that route you can ride north to Montpelier, or ride Logan Canyon (awesome ride) and continue southwest to I-84. Either way you can skip the mess that is Salt Lake City altogether. From Montpelier you would follow US30 to I-15, which runs into Pocatello, ID. Then you can get on I-86, which runs from Pocatello to the I-84 IC just outside a nowhere podunk called Declo, ID.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lucifer, US 30 sounds like a good option into Idaho, don't really like riding through large cities. I have not been over these roads in over 25 years, would you recommend I-15 north to I-90 then west or stay on I-84? I'll be tent camping along the road and the old scoot is pretty well loaded down (lots of bulk, 60-70 lbs weight, 330 lbs total including old fat butt me). I'm still trying to decide my final route, I-70, I-80/I-84 or I-90 west. I-80/I-84 is my preferred route but will probably wait until closer to time to leave to decide which route so I can get a weather forecast. Don't want to spend 5 days riding in the rain, been there. Departure is 27 August and that late in summer should avoid most of the rain (hopefully). This trip is #1 on the bucket list and I hope it's as enjoyable as it could be. One more question: I get a little nervous after 140 miles as far as gas goes. Bike is a gas hog (30-34 mpg). Do I need to carry a gallon or more spare fuel?

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is a long stretch without any places to pull over. You might want to carry some fuel and I84 is a hoot to drive . I really love / hate that road but I love it more than most other parts of the interstate. IF your really up for adventure look up the whitebird moutain pass road RT 95 in IDAHO. You get to it fron I90 and it's an AWESOME ROAD!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfkmY4zxrsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQyiGGisjpE

THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST PLACE I'VER EVER driven an 18 wheeler through. The 1st video is what I experienced ! Once you get down the mountain you enter whitebird and after visiting 46 states I'm going to retire there!

Watch out for low flying 747's lol

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rogue, Beautiful country, awesome video.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Izzy, if time is not an issue, here is the route I would take into Idaho from Wyoming:

US30 west around the west shore of Bear lake then north to Montpelier>
US89 north from Montpelier back into Wyoming (it's right along the state line) all the way through Star Valley into Alpine, WY>
US26 west from Alpine back into ID, via Star Valley. My brother-in-law lives in Irwin, ID there in Swan Valley, so if you run into any trouble, let me know! Follow US26 all the way to Idaho Falls (not a big town, only 40,000 people)>
US20 from Idaho Falls west toward Arco, ID (this is a dull patch of road that is...infrequently...patrolled by county sherriff and ISP). There you can head south on US93 a bit to Craters of the Moon (which I HIGHLY recommend, awesome scenery). I would then head back north on US93 though Arco.>
US93 ALL THE WAY to Missoula, MT. En route you will pass through Salmon, ID where I would urge you to stop and get a burger and a shake at the Savage Grill.>
From Missoula, head west on US12 through Lolo Pass and Clearwater Nat'l Forest. This is one of the Great Motorcycle Roads of the World. It's worth the time. Follow US12 all the way to Kooskia, ID>
From Kooskia, you can follow US12 all the way to Lewiston. You're on your own after that!

Idaho towns almost always have their own gas station, so you will never really have to go more than 100 miles between fuel stops EXCEPT on US12 through the Clearwater. It's about 140 miles from Lolo to Kooskia, but I do believe there's a motel/lodge/general store with gas pumps about 110 miles in. I haven't stopped there myself.

I know they've got US12 torn up east of Lewiston. Be wary, heard from another rider they did a halfass chipseal job that gunked up his bike.

I-15 to I-90 is WAY faster, would save you a whole day, and I-90 is very nice where it runs through the Idaho Panhandle. It would also allow you to visit Coeur d'Alene, which is a destination in itself. If time IS a concern, I would consider that route.

You're on the right track looking to skip I-84, tho. It's 300 miles of high desert, sagebrush, and I can guarantee a nasty headwind if you're headed west. Not my favorite way to cross the state for sure.

You know what, I'll just PM you my email. Feel free to contact me there if you have any questions! I've just about ridden that state from one end to the other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts