Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was looking online today, because I would like to get some drag bars that are a bit taller. I was looking around on MeanCycles.com and saw the tallest bar they had there was 8"

I measured my stock bars, and then appear to be 7.5", but I could just be measuring them wrong, I think its probably 8"

Do any of you know of any drag bars that sit a bit higher? Are tehre spacers anywhere that I can purchase? I'd of course prefer the first option though.

The bike in question is a 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I got some generic 2" risers from ebay..threaded them m10x1.25..total investment 20 bucks..already had the die to thread....

·
Registered
376 Posts
I went with the scootworks two inch risers. Simple install and you no changes to the stock cables required. The risers gave a more comfortable position but I still needed some more pullback so I made some aluminum risers. I had to relocate all the cables behind the triple tree but I now have a very comfortable position.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would be happy to whip up a set, if anyone is interested.
I own a one-man machining job shop including CNC milling, turning, and wire EDM; I have everything that would be needed.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Here is another pic of the aluminum blocks. The bike is at the dealer for the next two weeks since my output shaft bearing went out. I can measure and make a sketch when I get it back.

I was going to go with some small apes but the rise and pullback I have now along with my backrest make for a comfortable ride. Click on the pic to see more.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That would be great. Also depends how much as well.
It wouldn't be much at all; from what I can see in the pictures, there isn't much work involved in them.
Also depends on how many folks might be interested; prices come WAY down when machining multiples.

I'll hold off on firm pricing until I can see a sketch from Bluecruiser. At this point, I'm guessing $40.00 (maybe less) for just one set.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No reason I can't; but if you have a local place in mind, or the ability to utilize somebody's machinery, I say go for it. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone know if someone makes risers that match the copper-like color of the 2009 Custom SE drag bars? The scootworks risers are nice, but chrome would look kinda silly on the SE. I suppose I could just paint them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I thought about that after seeing pics of the chrome risers posted.

One possible way to make them resemble that same finish would be to make the risers from stainless steel and glass bead-blast them.

Different blast media will yield different finishes.
I'll go try it out with the stuff I have in my blast cabinet right now; stand by for pictures...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, that sure didn't work; the finish is WAAAAY too bright.
I'll try some other blast media when I get a chance; I have doubts that I'll be able to get the finish as dark as the bars, though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I guess I'll forget that idea.
I just switched from medium glass beads to aluminum oxide, thinking it would darken up considerably, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interesting idea Doug, thanks for sharing your findings. I was simply thinking of having a paint shop make me a paint matching the drag bar color and painting the risers myself. It's not easy to paint chrome, but it's doable. Easy to find a procedure on the net, such as here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts