Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a vulcan 900 classic with a mustang seat. I get some neck/shoulder pain on my right side. More in the shoulder blade area.

Would some pull back risers help? I was looking at the scotworks phat risers. The one that 1.5" up and 2" back. If I did this would I need to reroute the cables and stuff. http://www.scootworks.com/shop.cgi/page=partskawhandle.htm/SID=1179439584.12463
I have rolled the handle bars some and it has helped some.

·
Registered
222 Posts
With respect to the risers, I have the exact same set on my VN900LT. No need to re-route the cables. I incorporated a bit of slack in the cables by moving items a bit forward (clutch handle, signal sw., starter button, etc...) and adjusting the bars as well. I do have the mustang seat with backrest.

I experience the exact same symptoms you describe...neck, shoulder and back shoulder blade on the right side only. Other items that I have done is ISO grips with extensions and throttle assist. As well a Break Away cruise control module. I've been trying to figure out what gives as well. One possible thing for me is there is a considerable difference in diameter of the stock to ISO grips. I noticed this right away...I preferred the stock size for my hand size. While I had the stock size, I'd experience more strain in my wrist and could easily adjust position to alleviate some of the pressure. As well, this year I've done more "hwy" cruising...thus higher speeds...more throttle response movements at the top end. The cruise unit adds additional "friction" and since its manual adjust for speed compensation, more strain in those pained areas. The pain is real and to the point where I have trouble lifting and twisting in certain positions. I get the feeling my arm is dislocated at the shoulder or something. When I don't ride for a while I do notice the pain lessening.

I'm still playing with it, but at least your topic confirms that it's bike related. Thanks for bringing it up! Keep posting as we work it out.

Denis

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree to everything you said Denis. This is why I have ordered the risers. I am also looking into getting a mustang seat with backrest.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I mounted the risers from Refined Cycle after putting a Mustang seat on my 900 classic. They have really solved my issues with an easier reach and more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it is something to do with posture. Or how we grab the grips. I would like not spend a bunch of money in the process of figuring it out. I just know when I read the description on riser they say to help elevate shoulder and neck pain.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I think it is something to do with posture.
try adjusting your bars up or down first ... then decide if you need to spend the dough.

·
Registered
275 Posts
risers

I bought the refine risers from ebay also. They didn't come in a package but wrapped in a heavy paper towel each and taped. It appeared to me that they were used before. Did others that got them have them packaged that way? I have my bars lowered back quite a bit now, were the cables long enough to keep them pulled back, just the extra 2" more?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've had this exact same issue with my 2010 900Custom. The issue is that when you look at the mustang seat as compared to the stock seat it moves you up and back. Also the stock seat is convex while the mustang is flat.

When I rode with the backrest I felt a stretch in my biceps because my arms were almost straight out even with the 2.5" risers I put on.

But I'm not a tall guy (5'8") and I don't have long arms (32" sleeve).

·
Registered
173 Posts
07 classic LT here and I also had these issues.5'9". I ended up having to go all the way to a 4" up and 3 " back riser to fully eliminate the back and shoulder pain.I am still running the stock seat.Unlike others in here I don't have a problem with it.I have 28,000 miles on it now.But the taller risers were the best cure for the shoulder pain.I just recently built a backrest but the weather in the mountainsthis year has bees extremely rainy and I havnt been able to get a lit if seat time with it.Good luck on you search!!!!!!

Appalachian twisties!!!! GTA Love em!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts