Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have only found one choice for risers for the Custom. Those are from Scootworks. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm also still looking for suggestions for a tailbag. I have the Saddlemen teardrop saddlebags. I do not have a sissy bar or luggage rack. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Baitis,

I'm not sure how the socket would work. It's my understanding that the bars have a threaded stud which is secured to the bike by a nut. Also, if the risers you haave are the ones that are either 1 1/2 or 1 3/4", are you interested in selling them? You could send a PM if so. Thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I believe the tee bar studs are a permanent part of the bars and are just long enough to extend through the triple for the nut to screw on. I just put my stock tee bars back on.

I have a set of stock Kawasaki risers if anyone is interested in buying them. They are the same for most of the 2000 and up Kawasaki models.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hello,

I have only found one choice for risers for the Custom. Those are from Scootworks. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm also still looking for suggestions for a tailbag. I have the Saddlemen teardrop saddlebags. I do not have a sissy bar or luggage rack. Thanks for any advice.
Have you checked at CruiserCustomizing? They list some for the Custom. Might check it out. Good Luck. :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Baitis,

I'm not sure how the socket would work. It's my understanding that the bars have a threaded stud which is secured to the bike by a nut. Also, if the risers you haave are the ones that are either 1 1/2 or 1 3/4", are you interested in selling them? You could send a PM if so. Thanks.
The risers are 3". I got them cuz on sharp turns I have a tendency to pull the bars out of my hand - need longer arms. The 3" worked good but is downright ugly. When using a 3/8" drive socket as a riser unscrew the stud from the bars and get longer grade 8 bolts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Baitis,

While I haven't taken my bars off, I called a dealer and they said that the studs are welded to the plates that are then welded to the bottom of the bars. Have you actually unscrewed those studs and used the sockets or are you theorizing (as I did) that the studs are threaded into the little plates?

·
Registered
719 Posts
SB, sorry I was working from an experience 2 years ago. My bars do have studs and they screwed in to the extensions which bolt from underneath. I can't be positive but I thought my studs were loose in the bars, not welded. I checked the site where I got the idea and the threads showed aftermarket bars and clamps. It only takes 5 minutes to remove the nuts and pull off the bars off to check. Cover the gas tank. I tend to think the stud isn't welded since it would probably change the properties of the Grade 8 studs. Wish I could remember but somethings I just don't commit to memory.

"OK, so I'm a tightwad. But, thanks to a tip I heard here, I got some risers on my 900 for under 20 bucks. I picked up 2 19mm deep sockets at Sears. They had two lengths, I got the shorter ones. (Please note that ACE hardware sockets have a too-narrow hole to pass the bolts through. I tried.) I then went to Home Depot and got two 3/8ths by 5'' grade 8 bolts. I also had to get lock washers and nuts. I had originally planned to get metric bolts and reuse the factory nuts, but they weren't long enough, and the heads were much too big to fit in the handlebar clamps. It took about 2 hours, including the shopping. I spent about $15 at Sears and $4 at Home Depot. The pictures are a little blurry, I think it's all that shiny chrome. But at least the riding position is a lot more comfortable."

·
Registered
719 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts