Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at getting some risers. im 6'2" tall has anyone used risers on a custom? what size is best? my back starts to really hurt on long rides reaching for the bars.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the Genmar. They are real nice, quick shipping and easy install. I am 5-11 and they give me a little more reach. There are a few risers that are bigger.

·
Registered
274 Posts
you must have short arms cuz im 6 foot and have no problems reachin bars and back aches You could do risers though and maybe a different seat to throw you foward an inch or so But than you gotta worry about the legs..Just a few thoughts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
risers

well i dont want to move forward cuz my knees are already hitting near the middle of the emblem on the tank. i would like to move back and lean back more. my arms are all the way extended when i lean back. ill post some pics later. im getting a seat custom made. so hopefully that will help the sitting further back problem.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm 6'2" also and I know what you mean. It's not reaching the bars that is the problem it's the slight hunch to reach low. I got the risers from Scootworks, easy install. It moves the bar about 2 to 3 inches up and also back. nice improvement and also looks cool and you will NOT have to change hoses or cables. cost about $100

·
Registered
74 Posts
900 custom risers

I have Scootworks round billet risers on my (orange) 2009 custom. They are perfect for me. I am 5' 10". My risers are 2 1/2 " long. I dont know if they have longer ones.

pcmikey AKA RoadKill

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
risers

yeah i think im gonna go with the scootworks risers. they look nice and easy.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have the Scootworks risers. I've had them on and off several times the last two years. I don't like the look at all, to me they're too tall. The Genmars are a bit shorter but I can't keep buying $80 parts to play with since I also have a boat to feed. I just put the Scootworks back on my bike b/c the riding position is much better; I just had cervical spine fusion in June for 3 vertebrae (C4-5-6) on top 3 lumbar disk surgeries. The good thing is that with the risers I can now reach the GPS and mount it under the bars and it clears the gauge bezel.

Oh, and I'm 5-8 with 32/33 sleeves and I had to let go of the bars on parking lot turns without the risers. The risers make a big difference with the COG changes for someone my size even on the twisties. The COG change isn't necessarily better, just different.

Not the best photo but no sense rolling it outside in the dark. At least it will give a perspective of where the bars move to:

·
Registered
376 Posts
I added the Scootworks risers and they do add a lot of comfort. I needed more pullback and fabricated some aluminum blocks that work with the risers. The brushed aluminum matches the finish on the triple tree.

Just right now although I did have to re-locate the cables behind the triple tree.

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have a classic and was going to purchase the phat risers 2 but I just can't justify paying that much for about 6 inches of metal. So I had dear ol dad fashion me some out of aluminum, then I found the 19mm socket trick which I'll be doing in two weeks. I got the parts just not the time. The riser add ons pops fashioned up for me are like 1.25 inches I think and it's a drastic difference in comfort. http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/85471-risers-cheap.html

·
Registered
711 Posts
I too have the Genmar Risers. They look way better than all others available for the 900 Custom and probably one of best investments I've done for this bike next to the seat and shield.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
risers

no i havent got em yet. i think they may be an x-mas present. i dont know if ill go with scootworks becouse of how long its taking them to get me my lowering kit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the risers that was made by a gentleman from detroit, who is a kawasaki rider as well. It works great compared to the stock. I am 5'10" and i needed more height and pullback.

I will post pics soon.

But, the cables are just right. I mean i could use some slack. So people who have used risers, can you tell me if there is a way to route the cables any other way to get some more slack?

·
Registered
742 Posts
deep socket?? i've heard of people trying that and don't understand why you would even try it, or risk it for that matter...

the machined risers have a hole with only enough clearance for the bolt, so alot of the force is still on the riser itself. with a deep socket, sure the head end where it connects to the ratchet is thicker but the other end is wide open with only about an 1/8" of metal or less?!?! so the bolt os taking alot more of the force/strain... seems to me that it's a failure waiting to happen. i wouldn't trust a bolt from home depot to save my life that way!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts