Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently had a new set of tires put on my Vulcan at a mechanics. After I got the tires back on and took it for a ride, I noticed a weird and and down vibration in the front. The handlebars do not wobble at all, the tire (appears to be) balanced. After looking closer, there is a small ding on my rim, and when I spin the wheel, I can actually see it move up a little right where that ding is.
It is a stock rim, tube tire, with spokes.
I cannot seem to find a mechanic (that I trust) in all of Tampa who will do the job, for some reason. I'm going to work with a friend of mine, who is a mechanical genius, to true it myself. If anyone has done any work on these rims, or has any tips, I'd love to hear them. I always do a lot of research before jumping into any project like this.
Thanks so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi Phillbert That looks like when you had the tyres changed the tyre fitter got a little bit agresive with the leavers ! take it back & tell him you wont a NEW wheel !

Steve

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Phillbert That looks like when you had the tyres changed the tyre fitter got a little bit agresive with the leavers ! take it back & tell him you wont a NEW wheel !

Steve
I did that. They told me I must have hit something, and basically said I can't prove it was them, so I can go F myself... It's hard to find a good mechanic.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Good job it in't mine ! As he would have found himself wakeing up in A&E ! Grrrrrr Take it from me you have NOT hit anything ! I can see from the pics wot has happend ! & I know why it's happend ! It's because he never shoved the tyre into the center of the rim when he put the tyre iron in & started to leaver the tyre off !
IF you & you friend take the wheel out & take the tyre off make sure you get the tyre bead off the rimbead BEFORE you try to leaver off ,3 peaces of wood under the rim !Kneel on the tyre OPPOSITE were you put the leaver ! BEWARE of nipping the TUBE ! You should get the ding out with a GOOD rubber mallet & a FEW good Smacks ! PRACTICE for the mac's HEAD ! LOL

Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try a plastic shot filled deadblow hammer. It won't bounce back at you and won't scar the chrome. Be slow and patient as you hammer. Look at the wheel with the light reflecting from different angles. You might think you have it right and rotate the wheel and find more error. Check for smaller errors in the wheel all around as there may be more. It's not to hard to fix if you are picky and persistent. You can use a 3/8" to 1/2" piece of hard wood or solid copper rod as a punch for small corrections. I like the copper because the wood tends to absorb more of the energy of the hammer. Tape a pencil or whatever to your fork or frame close to the wheel and turn the wheel while watching the gap to check true. These wheels are pretty tough so it will take some good smacks, but be cautious and start smacking lightly until you can judge the effect you are having. Don't smash it too hard right from the get go or you will bend it in too far. Horse-sense helps. Happy trails and good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try a plastic shot filled deadblow hammer. It won't bounce back at you and won't scar the chrome. Be slow and patient as you hammer. Look at the wheel with the light reflecting from different angles. You might think you have it right and rotate the wheel and find more error. Check for smaller errors in the wheel all around as there may be more. It's not to hard to fix if you are picky and persistent. You can use a 3/8" to 1/2" piece of hard wood or solid copper rod as a punch for small corrections. I like the copper because the wood tends to absorb more of the energy of the hammer. Tape a pencil or whatever to your fork or frame close to the wheel and turn the wheel while watching the gap to check true. These wheels are pretty tough so it will take some good smacks, but be cautious and start smacking lightly until you can judge the effect you are having. Don't smash it too hard right from the get go or you will bend it in too far. Horse-sense helps. Happy trails and good luck!
Good advice! I appreciate it. I'm going to attempt.. Hopefully this weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts