Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was riding on the highway the other day and when I was moving through 30mph traffic my bike started to seem sluggish. I assumed at first that it was some crap clogging my carbs, and that I'd just try to burn through it and keep going. It only seemed bad at lower gears at first so I continued to my destination at around 80 mph.

When I got off the freeway I noticed it needed a whole lot more throttle to not stall from a stop. Once I pulled into my house I realized that the left muffler looked blue.

I poured some water on both sides, and it only boiled on the left side. I assume that I am right in that the right cylinder is not firing.

So my question is what is the most logical route in figuring out how to fix it?

My thoughts are that it is either a:
• bad spark plug
• clogged carb
• battery issue

Any thoughts on what's the most wallet friendly route to go? All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welp, I changed the spark plug out. I tested it as well with a spark plug tester, and the light was firing correctly. But still no dice on the right cylinder.

I threw a few oz. of Seafoam in the tank as well in the off chance that it will clear up the right carb.

So is the next step taking apart the carbs? I've never attempted it before, so I'm quite nervous. Actually I've never attempted any major engine work beyond basic maintenance before.

I've also got the bike at my friend's house about 20 miles from my house. It's hard to work on it over here, so does anyone know if it will harm my engine to ride it down the highway for a half hour on only one cylinder?

·
Registered
151 Posts
One thing I noticed is that more and more threads overtime are about right cylinder misfiring, left cylinder is rarely mentioned everywhere and good number of these threads mentions blown head gasket as culprit.
Only reason I can think off of all these leaky head gaskets on the right side is when bike is on the kickstand it is leaned to the left which somehow messes up with right cylinder.
So, one start the bike and while bike is sitting for a minute or two to get to operating temp, right cylinder gets lean mixture since bike is leaning to the left, this causes overheating on that side which further more causes head and cylinder warping eventually causing blown head gasket on that side, which leads to engine misfiring or not firing at all on that side. I personally experienced this.

Yes, it can harm the engine to ride it on only one cylinder, I wouldn't suggest you to do that.
Once you get time, remove carbs and see if right one is clogged, it can happen, especially if tank is rusty, or if bike sat for long time (fuel gums up) It isn't that hard as you think. Harder part is to put it back.
If carbs are alright, do LEAK DOWN test as compression test can show good compression but it won't show you if compression is leaking somewhere, I learned this hard way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts