Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a classic lt, will I have any problems with power or "bottoming out" when I finally get my wife to ride with me?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Power? Not really. You won't win any races, but I've been all around the state with my wife behind me and haven't had any issues, even keeping up with a more "agressive" group. Remember to allow some extra braking distance, though.

Bottoming out? Not really. The shock is adjustable. I'm a bigger boy (250 lbs), so I leave mine set just 1 notch below max at all times, and it handles solo rides and 2-up just fine, even when we're both in full leathers.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I and my wife ride two up all the time and i've had no problems but she does only wieghs about a 118 lb. If i remember correctly your shock is set at 4 from the factory, i took off my side covers and set it up to 6 and that made a little smoother over the bumps.

·
Registered
487 Posts
There is no difference with my wife on board, however we weigh less the 275lbs. together. She is an excellent passenger so I hardly know when she is on board, except when stopped. Then I notice the higher CG.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have a classic lt, will I have any problems with power or "bottoming out" when I finally get my wife to ride with me?
Nope, but I would like to reinforce what some have said. Adjust your shock a click or two. Braking is definately different as you will need more room to stop safely. CG is higher with a passenger, even more so if you install a Mustang seat so be sure to plant your feet firmly. Practice, practice, practice...then enjoy the road with a big grin:D

·
Registered
491 Posts
Nope, but I would like to reinforce what some have said. Adjust your shock a click or two. Braking is definately different as you will need more room to stop safely. CG is higher with a passenger, even more so if you install a Mustang seat so be sure to plant your feet firmly. Practice, practice, practice...then enjoy the road with a big grin:D
That's rIght!!!:D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Lots of Two-Up with limited problems. Adjust the shock like explained above. Even at Max setting, I lost a grease fitting on a speed bump riding two-up. There is a fix for that as well.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
about 430 lbs on my bike 2-up, and I've never noticed any issues with handling or bottoming out. The preload adjuster on my rear spring is set at 7, which is perfect for us 2-up with luggage (altho it beats my ass to putty solo), and i've never experienced any tailweave even at 90+ mph.

As for power, at 50 hp and 58 ft/lbs of torque, you won't sail by any 1100cc+ v-twins, but I literally NEVER have to downshift to hill climb unless I'm passing too. And before all the fuel around here was polluted with E10, I was getting about 53 mpg.

·
Registered
427 Posts
CG is higher with a passenger, even more so if you install a Mustang seat so be sure to plant your feet firmly.
Boy, no kidding...first time I took my wife out on the bike w/ my new Mustang seat was a eye-opener. The center of gravity is significantly different w/ the Mustang than the stock...do be prepared.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts