Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can understand groups having rules of the road for safety, but so many groups have constitutions, a dozen pages long, requiring dues and obligations beyond your family. What ever happened to a few friends just getting together for a ride to a favorite restaurant in a nearby town or a day trip to the lake? Some groups spend more time in meetings and on business than enjoying the ride. Guess I had enough rules in the military, business and even for hospice from Medicare, Medicaid, insurance companies and hospice providers. Find some friends, set a time and date, and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
My guy and I rarely ride with "friends". They either don't ride enough, or don't ride hard enough, or even know how to have any fun while out riding. We do, however, ride with his club. Yeah, it's a MC, with rules and dues and colors and restrictions and bylaws and everything else that goes along with it. But, for people that ride with a club (not an AMA fanily club or Christian Colors organization or Vulcan modifiers club), there is usually a LOT more involved than. Just going on an occasional Saturday ice cream ride. Those guys get as tight as brothers, if not tighter. The bylaws are there, for the most part, to keep it from becoming an AMA family club, or Christian Values club, or other such Charlie Foxtrot.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hrhz: I understand what you are saying and that's fine if it's your thing. I served in the USMC in the 60's & 70's, most of my friends are vets and I serve as a hospice veteran's affairs coordinator for terminally ill vets, many who ran with the fast crowd. So I understand about brotherhood, etc. I'm also a member of the SCV, again, a brotherhood. I've also done my share of weight lifting, martial arts and am on my 9th bike, everything from street bikes, trail bikes, touring machines and now my second cruiser, probably before you were born. Had both my arm and leg in a cast (at different times), not to mention those times I walked away and the near misses. But I reached a point in my life where I know what it means to have friends that don't require a constitution to hold us together. As a counselor, I am in contact with many who ran with the wild crowd in their youth and now are paying the price. As for riding hard, I have a friend from high school with a big hole where his skull use to be and doesn't recognize his own family. Just last week I visited my cousin in the hospital with his head held in place by a halo. Both were single bike accidents with no car involved. Nothing wrong with slowing down and enjoying the ride and view. Hope you stay safe.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Hrhz: I understand what you are saying and that's fine if it's your thing. I served in the USMC in the 60's & 70's, most of my friends are vets and I serve as a hospice veteran's affairs coordinator for terminally ill vets, many who ran with the fast crowd. So I understand about brotherhood, etc. I'm also a member of the SCV, again, a brotherhood. I've also done my share of weight lifting, martial arts and am on my 9th bike, everything from street bikes, trail bikes, touring machines and now my second cruiser, probably before you were born. Had both my arm and leg in a cast (at different times), not to mention those times I walked away and the near misses. But I reached a point in my life where I know what it means to have friends that don't require a constitution to hold us together. As a counselor, I am in contact with many who ran with the wild crowd in their youth and now are paying the price. As for riding hard, I have a friend from high school with a big hole where his skull use to be and doesn't recognize his own family. Just last week I visited my cousin in the hospital with his head held in place by a halo. Both were single bike accidents with no car involved. Nothing wrong with slowing down and enjoying the ride and view. Hope you stay safe.

Totally my thing. My guy is a Marine, too - and so are most of the people he chooses to ride with (He used to come around here, but you guys thought he was "mean" . . . LOL) . I do know what you mean, though - there's club has another chapter with mostly old gus, and they don't ride near as hard. They do go to Bob Evans weekly, and things like that. So, not everybody has it in 'em. And, you probably did have a cruiser before I was born - I'm only in my forties. We all get there eventually! LOL

I say everybody should ride how they want. By all means, enjoy the view. We do a lot, too. But sometimes, it's time to put the hammer down! LOL

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Solo and getting there

I rode in a group of five in the 60's, with three on trail bikes in the 70's (loved when they were building I-20), alone on the other bikes in the 80's, until the touring (Suzuki Cavalcade) around 1990. Wife and I rode together. When you get older you realize that you don't heal as fast and old injuries come back to haunt you. Now, a few friends and I realize we might not be able to ride much longer. So after eight years without a bike, am giving it one last hurrah. Thought about joining one of several groups located nearby, but too many rules for us old guys set in our ways. And being Southerners, we're independent by birth. Also, as you get older and especially with hospice, we see friends and others starting to drop one by one. You'll "make it there" if you are careful, don't take chances and are blessed. Hope you do. :)

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Thanks for the kind words! I hope to live a long time, but hope I never make it "there". I prefer to take some chances here and there - otherwise life it pretty boring. Besides, I'd rather die while I'm living, than live while I'm dead! LOL

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I ride with a group (CMA) quite a bit. Local chapter has monthly meetings and that's about it on the bureaucracy side. Handle business, takes a couple hours, then we go eat! hehe. No dues, we get enough donations to handle everything we need and then some. Not like we have a lot of overhead really. We meet every friday night for a short ride and plan rides and stuff at various times, sometimes just to get a bite to eat, sometimes working alongside other groups for charity events, or to go to bike shows and things like that. Certainly not as hardcore or anything as a lot of the MC's and stuff like that, but that's not my speed anyway. I like to sit back with a small group of close knit friends and ride and enjoy the scenery. I really think group riding, whether it's a big MC running 110 or just a couple of your buddies cruising down some old road, can be a lot of fun. It's not for everyone though. But I think if you find some folks who like to ride like you do, and go to the places you like to go, you can have a blast sharing those experiences.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I got 2 friends some times 3 and we do day rides on the weekend, the only rule we really have is be there at the time we agreed upon , during the week or the weekend day we don't ride I do alot of solo riding , I like both.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I typically ride with friends (what few I have left ;-)), relatives (what few I can still tolerate), meet-up groups (http://motorcycle.meetup.com --- which are, generally, quite accepting of idiosyncrasies and quirks) and solo. Even at my not-yet-so-advanced age, I have learned to just have a good time at it all.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I ride with Southern Cruisers Riding Club chapter 197 Tuscaloosa, Al

No meetings, no dues we just post rides on FB usually on Thursdays and get together on Saturday's to ride. Most always end up at some eating joint around the halfway point. Anywhere from 12 to 22 bikes is our usual average and our rides average 120 miles or so, some more some less.

Southeastern riders should check them out, there are chapters all over and the national headquarters is in Memphis, TN

http://www.southerncruisers.net/ to find a chapter near you.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I really think group riding, whether it's a big MC running 110 or just a couple of your buddies cruising down some old road, can be a lot of fun. It's not for everyone though. But I think if you find some folks who like to ride like you do, and go to the places you like to go, you can have a blast sharing those experiences.
Exactly - I think you're exactly right! And never judge somebody else for the way they ride or who they like to ride with - that judgement can go two ways!

BTW, thanks for your service, Romans5.8!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Exactly - I think you're exactly right! And never judge somebody else for the way they ride or who they like to ride with - that judgement can go two ways!

BTW, thanks for your service, Romans5.8!
Oh I haven't served, my younger brother is in the US Navy but not me. We are definitely very proud of him though!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I attend the Horse magazines Smoke Out every year. About 3 years ago, I met a guy (Mike) who had set up a club that you might like. It has really grown from the origonal Raleigh, NC chapter.There are now numerous chapters across the US and in other countries as well. If you search for NoRulesRiders, you will find them.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I joined the Southern Cruisers in Florence, SC. Monthly Bike Nite (rotate restaurants) Monthly Breakfast meeting, rides almost every weekend at certain times of the year, like Sept now. Rides to events, rallies, places of interest, historical sites, restaurants out of town, etc. Still ride alone when the mood hits or with another friend when we can link up.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
I ride.

By myself.

All over.

With a friend
Or with friends.

Or with a riding group (three groups at last count).

Or on a date with her own skoot.

Toy Run in December with lotsa folks.

Poker run to Key West, leaving tomorrow mornin (yea!!)

I am happy!!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
11 Posts
I second meetup.com. In my area (No VA) there are four groups I ride with. Like me, many belong to more than one group. As it turns out, there's now a core group that knows each others habits, and it's gotten rather comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
574 Posts
I like to ride the same way I like to drink beer, either by myself or with somebody. All the rest is a matter of how much time, cash and energy you have (or want) to expend on it. And of course at my age (and injuries) health does get in the way sometimes. My acid reflux problem has cut some of my beer drinkin and my bum left knee swells up occasionally where I can hardly walk much less ride, but as long as I can I will ride.

Oops just noticed this is an old thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts