Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw this article linked on FaceBook by a dealer in my area. Some may have seen it before since it is from 2009, but some great reminders to keep It Shiny!
15 Riding in Traffic Tips

·
Registered
53 Posts
All good tips. I am a cautious rider (I have an addiction to breathing), so I try to keep the cages as far from my personal space as I can.

·
Registered
507 Posts
All good tips. But, I'll add one more. In stop and go traffic, don't be that idiot weaving in and out of cars and lanes. I saw a sport bike almost get hit because of this. He swerved around a car while another driver was changing lanes. He barely avoided a Collision, because he was in too much of a hurry to wait an extra 5 minutes I guess.

·
Registered
227 Posts
All good tips. But, I'll add one more. In stop and go traffic, don't be that idiot weaving in and out of cars and lanes. I saw a sport bike almost get hit because of this. He swerved around a car while another driver was changing lanes. He barely avoided a Collision, because he was in too much of a hurry to wait an extra 5 minutes I guess.
Yes, good point, this is called "lane splitting " in OZ, not legal according to police, I see bikes doing it a lot, while traffic is moving, swerving in and out, dangerous. I do it only when traffic is still.
All other points are excellent tips and I am happy I follow every one of them.
So far, after 4 years back on the bike, no accident or fall, some close calls though, so I try to be even more cautious.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Notice in highway traffic, the front end of a car will 'wiggle' before a rapid lane change. I never let anyone drive beside me. And I always bark the throttle before I make any changes, come to a stop, or leave a stop.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Something I've learned (and taught my daughter) is when approaching an intersection with traffic lights, look for the pedestrian crossing signal (for the road you are crossing). Many of these will count down to zero and right after, the light will change. Will give you a good estimate of whether or not you can make it through the light before it changes to yellow. If the pedestrian crossing is "white" (meaning pedestrians are free to walk), you know the light isn't about to change.

My daughter, who delivers pizza, LOVES that I taught her to look for this. She swears by it.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Intersections are the enemy to bikes. Approach cautiously and check both ways when light turns green. Don't ride parallel with any vehicle... lay back or fast forward. Never ever tail-gate!!!

I believe in intuition and it has worked for me. If you don't feel right about something ahead or behind, adjust your course, speed, or simply stop.

One more! If you see someone acting a fool, get out of the way or let the fool have his way. IT is not worth it!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Something I've learned (and taught my daughter) is when approaching an intersection with traffic lights, look for the pedestrian crossing signal (for the road you are crossing). Many of these will count down to zero and right after, the light will change. Will give you a good estimate of whether or not you can make it through the light before it changes to yellow. If the pedestrian crossing is "white" (meaning pedestrians are free to walk), you know the light isn't about to change.

My daughter, who delivers pizza, LOVES that I taught her to look for this. She swears by it.
I do that too. Well when I am in places that have those. We don't have those here. But it has always seemed to work good for me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Lot of good tips there, Jace. Thanks for posting those. It was kind of nice to see how many (most!) of those I already do as my standard practice. But it's always good to have yet another reminder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts