Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I rode for a couple years and am just getting back into it. I had a real windy day today and it was a bit uncomfortable. Any tips on riding with a severe head wind or cross wind?

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
So I rode for a couple years and am just getting back into it. I had a real windy day today and it was a bit uncomfortable. Any tips on riding with a severe head wind or cross wind?
Do you have a windshield ?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Nope. Would a windsheild help with cross wind or just head wind?
IMO, a windshield helps a bit with a headwind, but it does increase drag. I don't think there's much help for strong crosswinds, at least from my experience.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I do most of my riding 2-up so actual movement on the bike is pretty minimal. Rode 85 miles of freeway into a 30 MPH headwind just last week, and other than the remarkably crappy gas mileage, it wasn't bad. I just kicked back with my feet on the highway pegs and rode it out. If the force against your head and neck is what's bothering you, you can always tuck down a bit to fight the headwind. I've couched far enough to almost have my chin on the gauge cluster a time or two.

And crosswinds just suck. Not much you can do about 'em.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Cross winds do suck. If you are on the super slab, stay to the down wind side of your lane. If not when you hit a patch without wind you may shoot into the adjacent lane. Of course the opposite can also be true, if you hit a major gust it may push you the other way. Just stay on your toes!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
A windshield will deflect the wind somewhat, but then you'll be buffeted by wind coming up from around the tank. Lowers will deflect that somewhat. A full fairing will do the best job of deflecting the wind around you.

A cross-wind will buffet you from side to side no matter what you do. You just have to be alert and respond to the changing conditions.

Welcome back to the motorcycling community where we are all at the mercy of the elements. :D

But after all, isn't that just part of the experience?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It wasnt so much the wind hitting me that bothered me as it was the feeling of my bike steering its self. It never took me more than a couple feet off course but this was a feeling I was not used to. Leaning as if turning on a straight road was new to me. Also the road was curvy so I was hitting straight and cross winds from both sides. It made it a little hard to navigate corners.
There was only 1 turn that scared me at all, the rest of the time it was just an uneasy feeling.
This morning on the way to work when it was calm I made a strong effort to concentrate on counter-steering technique on all my corners and then used the same technique to controll the wind on some windy stretches of my ride home.
I think the real answer is just a lot more time riding in windy conditions.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The worst wind other than from beans, is coming out from a treeline/buildings into open area with cross winds. Especially inclinded bridges, I found myself sailing into another lane once I elevated higher up. Scared me to no end at 70mph. The spooky thing was, is was just a moderately breezy day.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Living on the prairies in Manitoba where it is windy 9 out of 10 days, I have way too much experience with head winds, cross winds, etc. A windshield will certainly help block some wind when heading directly into a wind. With cross winds it will act like a sail but you can get used to it. If you get a windshield I'd recommend not going too tall - try to strike a balance between tall for wind and rain protection and short for not too much of a sail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts