Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellow Vulcaneers,

Not so much related to my bike, but....

I'm looking for a good leather riding jacket. I don't live anywhere close to a store to look and feel the quality. So most likely I will have to order something online.

What brands and styles do y'all recommend for quality (thick leather, zippers, etc.)?

What features should I be looking for, such as air vents, etc.

Any suggestion appreciated.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
If you're wanting both air vents and leather are you sure you want leather? Textile has come a long way in the last few years, and there are some good looking, breathable textile jackets that are comfortable in the summer, warm in the winter (with liners), and provide just as much protection as leather.

Just food for thought! Leather jackets, IMO, are only good when it's dry and cold. Wet and cold and they get heavy, warm at all and they get hot. Textile gear is a lot more versatile!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
try http://www.leatherup.com/

their service and return policys are great .. check the customer comments re sizing before ordering

Leather jackets, IMO, are only good when it's dry and cold. Wet and cold and they get heavy, warm at all and they get hot. Textile gear is a lot more versatile!
I agree, I never wear my leather jackets.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
Hi Fellow Vulcaneers,

Not so much related to my bike, but....

I'm looking for a good leather riding jacket. I don't live anywhere close to a store to look and feel the quality. So most likely I will have to order something online.

What brands and styles do y'all recommend for quality (thick leather, zippers, etc.)?

What features should I be looking for, such as air vents, etc.

Any suggestion appreciated.
Ask anyone you know who rides where some leather stores are located and ride to one! There has to be some place in your area even if it's over an hour away.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You mention quality, but not price, so I'll put this out there:[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00551B0HQ/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=automotive[/ame]

I bought one and I love it. Better quality (by far) than any Schott I've seen. And the more I wear it, the better it looks (I guess that's true of most leather, though).

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
My preferred jacket is a textile, it has armor, a quilted zip out liner and zip out (down to mesh) sleeves, bodice and back panels. I use this mostly all year round. Its great for touring, water proof, light, the liner and body panels take up zero room and you have them if you need them. Kinda like a Joe Rocket "alter ego" jacket, but its a bomber style, not a full length touring jacket.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
All these suggestions here in the replies on this thread look like good ones, NOT like this guy, think his riding gear wouldn't give to much protection.

1373133880541.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So...I wind up with a leather jacket and chaps. And go for my dream ride along the Oregon coast south of Seaside. All good until I get stopped for road construction for 20+ minutes.

Then the sweating starts. And more.

Then we we start moving again. 5 miles later, one of those ocean squalls rolls in and I freeze my tail fin off.

So maybe you all discussing textile jackets may have a point...

[This is a great forum...]

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
textiles are great jackets because they have usability. you can good jackets that have layers to them. i have a joe rocket textile jacket and it has 4 layers. it was an inner "sweater" lining, a mesh lining and then a top windproof lining. they also gave me a separate fully waterproof lining to use on under the mesh jacket. i use that jacket in all the seasons! living in NY you get cold winter temps and high summer temps. and this jacket does it all!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I tried textile jacket..just didnt like it. now days i wear a leather chaps if needed, Leather jacket and of course i always wear my rag. now that it is summer i mostly just wear my rag. Went down 3 weeks ago in a corner (loose gravel) slide across the 2 lane highway on my back. Only got a little road rash on my hip (only jeans on at the time) and elbows. the rag protected my back as i slide. (my patch did get tore up). Bike is fixable and running again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i have heard that having a leather vest really really helps your back. most people say that they slide with the leather on instead of getting caught like you might when wearing textile.
IMHO leather rocks! I always wear mine. My leather rag is even still wearable, only a few little cuts in it. But I will replace it, and replace the MC patch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I recently purchased a jacket from a guy who ordered it online from Leatherup.com
It is an Xelement 110 leather jacket. The problem was that the size is a 2XL but the jacket fits like a Tight XL. I love the jacket! The fit and quality for me are supreme. I usually take and XL. Just beware when ordering online that sizes are not always what you are used too and returns are a mutha!

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
I agree with Double Tap, leather is definitely the way to go especially if you end up riding the pavement the hard way. IMHO Fox Creek Leather out of Virginia is THE leather to wear. All USA leather, lifetime guaranteed, and awesome customer service. And on-line sizing, ordering and return ease are part of that great customer service. Check them out... Foxcreekleather.com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts