Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have at least a few other riders here who like dirt. So let's see what you've got. Pics, videos, ride reports, anything. Dirt roads, double track, single track, no track, whatever.

I never saw myself riding anything other than a cruiser, but now that I've tried dirt riding, I love it. No jumps, no races, no motocross. Just unpaved roads and trail riding. I'll start, and I'll post more stuff as I get to ride, but other folks, please add to the thread.

Blackwater River State Forest:

Talladega National Forest, Oakmulgee Ranger District:

Dirt road under I-65:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Tree tunnel in Baldwin County, AL:

Took the XT to Blackwater this weekend. Still really wet, and the creeks are still pretty cold.

BRRR!

Love this one. The crossing itself and the picture.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some videos.

Blackwater ride from last year. There's also a version with music if you get bored.

Perry Mountain Lookout Tower, up and down.

Messing around in the woods behind the house. Very slow pace as this is my first ride on the XT.

A couple more from Blackwater. Same trail, different sections, different days, different bikes.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally got to take my son to a track today and let him do some riding.

We rode around on the kids' track for a while, then while he was taking a break, I took the XT out onto the big track.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
good looking places to ride!!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Cool stuff!

I've never really had much of an interest in that kind of riding but I wouldn't mind giving it a try sometime. My stepdad actually has a BMW R1200GS with aggressive 'adventure' tires on it. He loves that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool stuff!

I've never really had much of an interest in that kind of riding but I wouldn't mind giving it a try sometime. My stepdad actually has a BMW R1200GS with aggressive 'adventure' tires on it. He loves that kind of stuff.
I never imagined myself as anything other than a cruiser guy either. The seed to branch out some was planted when I went to Arkansas with my dad two years ago. I kept seeing dirt and gravel trails into the mountains and wishing I had a bike that was better suited to go find out what was at the end of them. Came home from that trip and in the next year rode less than 500 miles.

So I sold my cruiser and got an adventure bike to try something different like fire roads and such. Then I added the XT so I could ride with my son and for stuff the Tiger was too big for. Then I tried the track this weekend and had more fun that I thought I would.

I still like street riding, too, as long as it's away from large towns and cities. I took a few guys I work with out on a short street ride through the country on Saturday, then rode dirt with my son on Sunday. If he gets good enough, I'd like to take him to the Talladega National Forest this summer and ride the off-road trails there. We'll see, but I was impressed with how he rode yesterday.

Leaving the pavement isn't for everybody, which I completely understand, but I'm loving it more and more.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
That is something I want to get in to, just have to wait until time and $$$ align to make another purchase like that. I already got too many toys and other obligations.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mostly street riding this weekend, but this pic involved riding half a mile down abandoned railroad tracks.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took my riding buddy to an ATV park yesterday for a little while. I'm impressed with how fast he picks up on everything.

Like father, like son.

Making a lap around the track:

Short ride on some of their trails:

·
Registered
48 Posts
My BigRedPig (aka "MissPiggy") at Kanab Utah. coral pink sand dunes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that looks fun! I would love to go do some riding out west. All we have around here is pine trees and sand.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Somebody thinks he's important after getting a Honda CRF70 last week. School starts on Monday, so it may be a couple of weeks until we get to go for a real ride, but he's been practicing in the yard, getting used to the new bike.

Carb was a little dirty! :surprise: But it's running better now.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good day riding yesterday at an ATV park. Really dry and sandy. Other than getting thrown off of my bike and getting my leg pinned under it, everything went great!

Getting used to his new bike:

Rode some new to us trails with some nicely built up hills:

My protege following me around the track:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Braved the cold and got out for a couple of hours yesterday.

If you want to go straight to me being a dumbass, skip to 5:00. If you want to see me try to redeem myself by not making the same mistake twice in a row, that happens at 6:25. Boots got filled up with water but I didn't like the first crossing. Apparently I found the deepest part, higher than knee deep, both times. You can see the footpegs well under water when I walk it through.

http://youtu.be/gsqNQsNVYCY

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More wildlife management area riding yesterday. Snack break!

The river was up. WAY up. There's supposed to be a sandbar out past the last trees.

My two mortal enemies, sand and gravity, combined their powers to put me on my face in some brush.

Finished up the day by taking my son to get some more riding time and get used to his new Yamaha.

Video from the morning ride:

·
Registered
287 Posts
One of the best ways to become a better street rider, is to become a dirt rider. I came back to riding dirt in 2005, since starting riding back in 1973. Learning to manage traction and allowing the bike to track/adjust under you, and especially learning to look well ahead to plan your path of travel are all just as key to street riding as dirt riding. I even learned to slide the rear tire under power, that saved my butt a few times when the same happened on dry pavement.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Had a honda xl 600 enduro,Rode the freeway in la to a dirt park,Man that was fun,then Rode freeway back home with a filthy bike
Graybush,your pics are Really nice,bet ur Havin a blast

1 - 20 of 38 Posts