Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to get some input on what brand of leather riding boots people are using. I have to admit that I violated my first rule and bought a pair of Harley riding boots only because I didin't have any idea of what good brand riding boots are out there.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I have Milwaukee motorcycle zip-up boots. Love having zip-ups! But the quality is good, the soles can be replaced with some allen bolts (they are bolted on, not glued on) which is pretty awesome. Keep 'em oiled and they'll last a long time!

These are the ones I have:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/120-169?utm_source=PLAs&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CIa83tuWtbkCFcxAMgod1nEA0w

Only problem is, I couldn't find ANYWHERE local to try them on so I took a gamble. Ended up having to return them. These boots fit HUGE! I wear a size 13 tennis shoe, flip flop, my old pair of MC boots, my work boots. EVERYTHING is a 13. But those 13's were enourmous. I got 12's. I would definitely suggest getting one size smaller than you usually get.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I have the same boot and I love riding with them. The soles give great traction when your feet are down. At first, the strap snaps were a bit tricky to get snapped on with one try, but it gets easier.

Romans5.8, what do you oil your boots with? I'm needing to do mine before the wet weather comes.
I never mess with the straps. Set once and done.

I used to just use mink oil but I've started using "Wet Pruf" from Kiwi. Works very well. Even if you don't get into any weather it's a good idea to keep the leather in good shape with mink oil every now and then.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Wet-Pruf-Paste/dp/B002S14A0A[/ame]

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I just wear my old Georgia Logger work boots. Just get you a good constructed boot that is comfortable and it will all be good. I would stay away from the "Harley Boots". I have herd of some folks liking them. I had a set and in a little over a year the soles were very worn, zipper pulls broke, and the stitch work on the leather panels on the boot were ripped. There were places you could see my sock where the pieces had separated so much. My Georgia Boots, I have had for 6-7 years now, worked a few years as a surveyor in them (in the mountains doing land and mineral boundaries, not the guys you see in the sub divisions or on the highway) and they are still holding up well.

So in short I would get a decent boot, Red Wing, Georgia, Bates,... . Don't matter what they are labeled for, just well constructed.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Check out the Bates tactical boots. Lightweight, comfy, water proof (if you can keep your pants from getting wet and leaking into them), side zip, TOUGH. They're the comfiest pair of boots I've ever owned, and have lasted quite a bit longer than my HD boots did. PLUS, with the laces, you get a custom fit combined with the quick on/off zipper sides.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
Check out the Bates tactical boots. Lightweight, comfy, water proof (if you can keep your pants from getting wet and leaking into them), side zip, TOUGH. They're the comfiest pair of boots I've ever owned, and have lasted quite a bit longer than my HD boots did. PLUS, with the laces, you get a custom fit combined with the quick on/off zipper sides.
I agree. I bought a pair of black tactical boots with laces in front and a zipper on the side. Very comfy and they fit nice and snug.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Alpinestars goretex over-the-shin zip and Velcro. Also insulated. Not too warm to wear in the summer, but waterproof. It depends on the climate where you live. Make sure that whatever you choose has a stiff toe area so you can shift--the Red Wings I had were good but my toes didn't reach to the end and I couldn't shift the Vulcan with them. Also check out the soles--need to be NOT slick on greasy asphalt. Pictures when you get new boots?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read somewhere that typical (non-motorcycle specific) boots are only good for about 30 feet if you end up taking a spill and dragging them on the street. This may be true or it may be a vendors way of pushing their product.

That being said, I just wear a pair of Tactical Response boots from Big5. They were about $30-$35 regular price and they're comfortable. Side zip also, which is really, really nice.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I too went to the Harley dealer and almost bought a pair of zip side leather boots, but the quality didn't match the asking price. Found the exact same pair later on at J C Penneys for less than half the HDs, but w/o the HD logo. (gladathat) Good looking, comfortable boots but with thin leather - and feet gets soaked in the rain - too thin I think to waterproof so I purchased a pair of Danner Gortex at Gander Mountain on sale - 30% off, for about 100 bucks.

I think it would be a real crap shoot to order any pair online. I tried on several brands of riding boots my size and found a world of difference in how they feel. Some of the styles that looked good just weren't comfortable. You can find a better price online but you probably will do more walking than riding with them so keep that in mind.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Think it is just a matter of choice when it comes to what feels and works right to your personal feet and safety.

I wear a nice set that I found online and have held up well for over three years and cost under 100 dollars, but I kind of like how these look on this gal that I saw, fit her just right.

:D

click image to enlarge

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wear Icon Motorheads. They are a little dated and discontinued now, but I got them for a steal of the old CL. I'm a big icon fan after having these :p

Motorcycle specific, ankle support, shift pad etc. They are nice. And surprisingly comfortable. I've walked all day from class to class on campus in them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
123 Posts
They won't qualify as full leather boots.....

But I wear zip-up boots with lace fronts that I got at Walmart. Set the laces once so they are comfortable, then just unzip or zip them when you want to put them on or take them off without messing with the laces. They are really comfortable, too. They have leather in the soles, toes, and other critical areas. Why Walmart boots? Because I work there, I get an additional 10% discount, and I am poor.:eek:

Smokey

·
Registered
102 Posts
i wear this, water proof, comfort and gud as a daily wear. enough protection on ankle, toes, shifter etc. The lace are protected from getting stuck with the shifter or any other motorcycle parts.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts