Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few riders in my family are taking a trip around Lake Superior the second week in August. A question for those who have ridden the Cirle tour before. What are the things we have to see and things we should avoid? My dad is doing most of the planning but want to make sure we do right.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Wow. That's a big-un. Just did the Lake Michigan Circle Tour 2 weeks ago. Took me 2 1/2 days...Iron Butt qualification is to do it in under 24 hours! Yeeeouch!

Take your time. Stay hydrated. Stop more often than just for refueling. Take lots o' pictures...when you stop, that is. Skip the chain restaurants, eat at local places where the parking lot is full of pick-em-up trucks. You will get more local flavor. (pun intended)
Be especially wary of critters large and small - especially if you are riding after dark.

Mostly, enjoy the ride. Make it your own. This is definitely one of those "smell the roses" trips.

I know you may have wanted some more specific info...which restaurants to hit, which roads are most scenic, etc. If you just follow the "Circle Tour" signs, you'll be amazed at what's out there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thunder Bay is a fun little town.. you can even visit the amethyst mine. When I went there you can by the rocks by the kilo.

Also go to Coper Harbor in Michigan, lots to see there.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Take your time. Stay hydrated. Stop more often than just for refueling. Take lots o' pictures...when you stop, that is. Skip the chain restaurants, eat at local places where the parking lot is full of pick-em-up trucks. You will get more local flavor. (pun intended)
+1 on the skipping of chain restaurants; also, skip chain hotels/motels...stay at the "mom and pop" places. If you enjoy beer, always try the offerings from local breweries...we ran into some great brews (at the end of the day, kickstands down for the night!)

We just did the south shore of Superior and around Lake Michigan, circle tours are great!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Kraig,
Last year I went to Marquette to look at a fishing boat. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and ate at an Italian restaurant called Casa Calabria. The Holiday was good but the Casa was outstanding. It is a 3 1/2 hour drive from here but my wife is asking when we can take an overnight trip to repeat the experience! Of course she is jealous because my buddy and I are eating there Saturday as we wend our way from Grand Marais, Michigan to approximately Grand Marais, Minn.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
lake of the clouds, porcupine mtns mi.
ride along the lake Superior Natl Forest. Hot air, cool wind off the lake between the trees will give you a hot n cold thrill ride.
thunder bay. take the ferry to Grande Isle.
Go Slow. Take Pix. Stop everwhere. Say Howdee.
ask folks how they get along in the boonies?
3 industries. Cutting trees in the bush. Paper Mill and....
canukers have the biggest gold mine on the planet. they leach gold flakes out the soil with an acid bath. gold is worth more than cost to retrieve it!
WaWa iz Moosk Kapitol of Canland. watch out, they bite!
tell em ponch said so,, they will nod approvingly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. Last year we rode out to the Rockies then up to Yellowstone and back thru Devils Tower and across South Dakota. About 3000 miles in 11 days, it was nice. We did about the same, stopped at mom and pop shops and took lots of picts. Will be all over a good Italian place. Have seen the circle tour site. We are going all the way around the lake, all 1300 miles, then of course the too and fro miles. Will be a good trip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts