Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Sunday ridding two up I heard hard clank when I hit some small bumps a few times. Is my rear shock too soft? Is it easy to adjust?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes, you're rear shock is too soft. You're bottoming out.

Do a search, there are threads telling how to adjust.
I had my dealer do it at the 1st service.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dads. Did the adjustment help? I found a tread where people complained that even when maxed to the limit the rear shock is still not holding it. I found a manual and planning to adjust it on saturday.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hi Dads. Did the adjustment help? I found a tread where people complained that even when maxed to the limit the rear shock is still not holding it. I found a manual and planning to adjust it on saturday.
It definitely helped us.
I think it depends on how big you are.

The one thread I saw that it didn't help, the guy was like 300lbs + his passenger.

The wife and I are like 330 together. I'm about 180 and her about 145-150.

It still bottoms out on real big bumps, but that is very seldom. Ours is adjusted approximately 3/4 of the way.

So, if you're a big dude, and riding 2 up, then you will probably have to get a replacement rear shock. If you are average to small or ride by yourself, you'll most likely be fine with the stock shock adjustments.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 215, the girl was 145 or so, and beer, pop and beach towels in the bags. Some 375 lb all together. I'll just max the spring and the dumper setting tomorrow. Damn, I hope that would take care of it. I never had this issue with my previous bike, little Suzuki Volusia 800.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I ride with mine 1 under max, and have never had a problem with myself and my wife (we're not tiny) even with my taller back tire. By myself, I hit 250, so you shouldn't have to worry about the shock not being up to the job. :D

And that's on the "wee" little 900!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts