Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone owned or ridden a 900 with the Richland Roadster Trike kit?
Had considered the Trigg but per email response from Trigg, their kit requires lifting the bike for removal and re install to change from 2 wheels to trike kit. At my age I can still ride on 2 wheels but do not want to have to get someone with proper equipment to lift the bike whenever I want to change over. I would like to think I have 10 years more to ride in some fashion.
Tow Pac will not install with my Corbin Beetle Bags as their mounting hardware uses the bolts where the bags attach.
Voyager and Trigg with belly plate you lose about 2 inches of ground clearance.
Cannot afford a true trike kit. If so would look at the CanAm Spyder as an alternative.
Will be in Florida in 3 weeks and plan to go by Johnny Richland's shop and take a look see for myself.

Thanks for any responses that come my way.
Richard S.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I don't have anything to contribute here but I am interested in hearing what your experiences are in this fashion. Also love to see pics when you're done!

A very sweet older lady I know loves to ride but a couple years ago, had something fall on her head while she was at home and now has trouble balancing, can't ride a bicycle anymore. She's been looking into her poor (sitting) V-Star getting a kit like that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the Lehman Storm trike based on the VN900. It is an awsome setup. You can't buy the kit to convert your own, but contact lehman and they may convert your bike. They are fairly inexpensive as trikes go. 15-17K new. Probably find used ones as well. Well worth the money.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
You could contact a company called Frankenstein Trikes located in Pleasanton, Ks. they build kits for bikes.

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
... and don't forget about using a sidecar instead of going trike. Lot's of cargo room for those long adventures and you can still use soft or hard saddle bags on your bike. I've seen them go for as cheap as $800 on e-bay.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You could contact a company called Frankenstein Trikes located in Pleasanton, Ks. they build kits for bikes.
A friend of mine bought his wife a 1200 Sportster with the Frankenstein trike kit on it. It's awesomely made. Beautiful machining and all. Trouble is, it's not a mainstream trike company like Lehman, etc., and insurance companies really sock it to you. The insurance for that Frankenstein conversion is stupid high.

I think the Lehman kit for the 900 would be the way to go.

As for the Voyager and other bolt on kits, the rear tire is still your driver, and there are instances where the bike could become high centered by the outboard wheels, effectively stranding you. That happened to a couple of folks in our group in Idaho and they had to be pushed to level grounds. Also, the bike can still lean just a little bit, and it's not uncommon for a tire to be lifted off the ground in a turn. If I could at all afford it, I'd opt for a true trike conversion, especially if you think you could afford the Spyder at $29K for the tricked out touring version. The sport version is still $22K and it sits you like a sport bike, too. We've been looking at the Spyders, but decided the pricetag is too high for us.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses. I am still quite able to ride 2 wheels. I am considering down the road as well as budget. Plus I have some awesome Beetle Bags on the 900 and do not wish to give those up.
If $$ were not an issue would just a 2nd bike that was a true trike. But that is not feasible.
Richard S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts