Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a ride of like an hour , if I stop for like 15 minutes or so and start the bike up, my engine will rev very high for about 2 minutes and then come down to normal idle. Also if I start to ride it then, the engine will act normal in gear but take off when I grab the clutch.

·
Registered
273 Posts
sounds like your fast-idle is set too high. mine was also when i got it. i turned mine down, much better. watch my bike accessories vid to see where the screw is. it helps.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
A lot of 900s do this. Mine did. I haven't seen a real good explanation for it yet. When I put a Cobra FI2000r in mine it stopped, but that could be coincidence.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
There are two throttles for the bike. You've got the main throttle (the one you twist with your hand) which is adjustable with a black screw on the air intake box. Then you have a secondary 'fast idle' throttle, which is also adjustable (just a bit more complicated!), which kicks in when the bike is cold.

Some of them, for some reason, run much faster in fast idle mode, and for some reason even have the weird symptoms you describe (extended fast idle when warmed up!). Not sure why though!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the fast idle system works off the air temp sensor and not the water temp sensor. So it doesn't take long for the air temp to cool down in air cleaner when you turn motor off, when you start motor again sensor it sees cold air and fast idle kicks in. I took the fast idle cam off mine so it doesn't work at all.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the fast idle system works off the air temp sensor and not the water temp sensor. So it doesn't take long for the air temp to cool down in air cleaner when you turn motor off, when you start motor again sensor it sees cold air and fast idle kicks in. I took the fast idle cam off mine so it doesn't work at all.
how is that done

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you mean how is the fast idle cam removed, its just a nut that holds it on, undo that take the cam off, I put some little washers in its place the same thickness as cam and put nut back on. The shaft still works but without the cam on it it doesn't lift the revs.
Its similar to the throttle plate removal in the fact that the shaft still works on that as well but without the plates it does nothing to hinder throttle operation.
I found not having the fast idle does not effect the way the bike starts and runs even in cold weather as it not a choke its just a fast idle.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
My experience was that this "runaway" thing was much, much faster than the normal fast-idle after start up. Usually, I could shut the bike off & restart it and fix the problem. Then, as I said, it never happened again after I installed the FI2000r.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
If you mean how is the fast idle cam removed, its just a nut that holds it on, undo that take the cam off, I put some little washers in its place the same thickness as cam and put nut back on. The shaft still works but without the cam on it it doesn't lift the revs.
Its similar to the throttle plate removal in the fact that the shaft still works on that as well but without the plates it does nothing to hinder throttle operation.
I found not having the fast idle does not effect the way the bike starts and runs even in cold weather as it not a choke its just a fast idle.
There's no need for a choke to get a fuel injected bike started. The purpose of a choke is to help get a 'mist' of fuel into the engine, because when it's cold the fuel could 'clump up' and dribble into the engine. Since a fuel injected engine has pressurized fuel being pushed through injectors, it's always atomized (a 'mist') even when cold, so it starts right up. Though on our bikes the fuel injectors are located in the throttle body, so it some of it can condense before reaching the cylinder, meaning it may still run better when warm.

Anyway, point is, the purpose of the fast idle isn't necessarily to make it easier to start. It MIGHT keep it from stalling as easily when cold, but it's main purpose is to get the engine and it's oil warmed up and flowing. If you know enough to figure out how to get the fast idle cam off, then you know enough to know that on a cold day that engine needs to warm up before any real load gets applied to it (even on a warm day really, for at least a few seconds. None of them starting the engine then revving it to the redline stuff!), so it's probably not an issue! But just an 'FYI' for other readers, it DOES serve a purpose beyond just being there to annoy you. Even on a fuel injected bike that will start, idle, and run just fine when cold, a moment should be taken to let the engine warm up. I usually start it up, then get my gloves and jacket on in the morning, and then hop on. Gives it a good 20 seconds or so to get the oil flowing to the top end, then I take it easy for the first couple minutes of riding to make sure it's had a chance to get warm!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts