Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 07 900 Classic LT. I bought it on impulse as I already had a garage full of motorcycles. I couldn't pass it up as it is rigged as a C50T and it only had 172 miles on it. Yes, 172 miles. I offered $2500 and since this guy was moving from Seattle to Florida and wasn't taking it with him, he took my offer. I bought it Sept. 2016 and it has 600 miles on it now.

This comparison is between the Suzuki C50 (which I have had both the C50 and the C50T) and the Triumph America.

It was a good read.

900cc comparison: Kawasaki Vulcan 900 vs. Suzuki C50 vs. Triumph America | Motorcycle Cruiser

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've ridden the C50, and stared at it hard. It's a good bike, but it just doesn't have the Vulcan's mojo. There is so much right about the V900's engineering and aesthetics.

By all evidence a belt drive is the best of all worlds. I don't object to the C50's shaft drive, but with the mechanical losses and weight of a shaft, one wishes the Suzuki was at the top of the displacement and power class, not at the back of the pack. I once had a Suzuki GS1100G transverse 4 road bike with shaft drive, and it was aces with the much stronger engine. That GS had enough beans at high rpm to get you in trouble right quick. I nearly kilt myself on it, but rode it for 5 years and sold it without putting a scratch on it. I never ride the Vulcan as aggressively as I rode that GS. It just doesn't encourage you to do it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've ridden the C50, and stared at it hard. It's a good bike, but it just doesn't have the Vulcan's mojo. There is so much right about the V900's engineering and aesthetics.

By all evidence a belt drive is the best of all worlds. I don't object to the C50's shaft drive, but with the mechanical losses and weight of a shaft, one wishes the Suzuki was at the top of the displacement and power class, not at the back of the pack. I once had a Suzuki GS1100G transverse 4 road bike with shaft drive, and it was aces with the much stronger engine. That GS had enough beans at high rpm to get you in trouble right quick. I nearly kilt myself on it, but rode it for 5 years and sold it without putting a scratch on it. I never ride the Vulcan as aggressively as I rode that GS. It just doesn't encourage you to do it.

I had a C50 Volusia 805cc that was not fuel injected and then a C50T 805 that was fuel injected. Both of these motorcycles were comfortable and had adequate power, but were not anything performance minded. They were very similar in feel and ride as the 800cc Kawasaki Drifter I rode for 3 years.

I like the mid level power bikes. When I was first growing up, the 650 Nortons and Triumphs were the big bikes along with the Honda 750's.

I had a 06 1600 Nomad and the 900 is not as comfortable and lacks the power compared to the 1600, but my Nomad got 30 mpg and I had to run premium. I can put up with the loss for the 20 mpg improvement.

I am 63 years old. This spring, I am going to be doing the "Run for the Wall" from LA to Washington DC for Memorial Day and Rolling Thunder. I will be riding my 1800cc Goldwing. Upon my return, I will be selling my 1800 as it is time to use the 900 for my main motorcycle.

I will put a hitch on the 900 and tote my trailer with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts