Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Resurrecting the Vulcan: Starter clutch clacking, slipping?

I'm in the process of reassembling the old girl after a long hiatus. Everything seemed to be going well, but when I turn it over, it makes an intermittent clacking sound. I didn't know what it was at first, but then it went CLACK and the starter started running free.

Wasted a new stator cover seal and popped the cover off. You can see the flywheel stutter every time one hears a CLACK. Pulled the flywheel off to feel the working surface the clutch rollers engage. It feels a little dimpled, but not scored or rough.

I'm trying to figure out why it's doing this. One of the rollers came out when I first removed the flywheel, but I made sure to fit the spring, cup and roller back into place. Then I rotate the flywheel to get the rollers over the sprocket boss and feel it drop into place when the slot aligns with the woodruff key.

It didn't do this before I took it apart. Do any of you fine folks have ideas? I'm stumped.

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just rebuilt the starter. Seems like it's functioning as expected.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The starter clutch roller springs are under designed...worthy of a Bic pen....Vulcan identical to EX500, where members have been known to stretch the springs a bit. Give it a try. While in the neighborhood... making sure the allen bolts on back of the flywheel are tight.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I had to order a new seal and some other parts, I got new springs and rollers too. I'll make sure they're a bit stretched before installing.

Another thing occurred to me - the manual says to put moly grease on the sprocket surface that faces the engine. Not thinking much about it, I grabbed my can of grease and put a thin layer on. But it's Mobile 1 full synth grease. I wonder if some got onto the mechanism and is *too* slippery.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rollers, springs and main sprocket have been replaced. The new springs seemed slightly beefier, but I stretched them just a bit for good measure. The old sprocket had divots in it where the rollers had obviously really dug in somehow - the new one is glass smooth.

Given the starter brushes were toast at less than 15,000 miles and that sprocket was chattered, I'm left wondering what the hell the P.O. did to the bike. The only thing I can guess is they did say the carbs leaked down so much that they had to replace the clutch friction plates. Maybe the engine got hydrolocked with gasoline and they kept slamming on it. Who knows.

Never the less, it turns over smooth as butter now. It's possible I always had the slipping issue and just never noticed it since the bike always started pretty fast.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The rollers, springs and main sprocket have been replaced. The new springs seemed slightly beefier, but I stretched them just a bit for good measure. The old sprocket had divots in it where the rollers had obviously really dug in somehow - the new one is glass smooth.

Given the starter brushes were toast at less than 15,000 miles and that sprocket was chattered, I'm left wondering what the hell the P.O. did to the bike. The only thing I can guess is they did say the carbs leaked down so much that they had to replace the clutch friction plates. Maybe the engine got hydrolocked with gasoline and they kept slamming on it. Who knows.

Never the less, it turns over smooth as butter now. It's possible I always had the slipping issue and just never noticed it since the bike always started pretty fast.
Fantastic, glad you're making positive progress!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts