Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A phrase I keep hearing is "Respect the machine." I don't feel like I completely understand the concept. Any help?:confused:

·
Registered
415 Posts
For me it means not taking our bikes for granted to the point that we begin to take risks with it because we get over-comfortable, and over-confident, forgetting about anticipating potential situations that can arise which could cause us harm. When you don't respect something you tend to abuse it, and no longer to treat it with the love that a good friend deserves......ride on.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Respect it...... don't Rage Against it!!

sorry couldn't help myself!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I imagine it just means don't forget you're sitting on something that could kill you at any moment. Not because it's mean or evil, it's just inanimate. The machine will ALWAYS react to the undeniable forces of physics...if you drop your guard the machine will not save you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Respect inertia, velocity and gravity.....as id-man states so well, ".....you are sitting on something that can KILL you at any moment." That machine is not a toy and each time you mount it, the games are over...............its a serious matter. Respect it and ride safely, defensively and hyper-vigilantly then you'll be OK.............besides that asphalt is a merciless teacher.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Like the above posters said; respect what's happening.

You are on a machine that doesn't love you, doesn't know you, doesn't care about you. It will do EXACTLY what you tell it to do; and it's very easy to tell it to seriously hurt you, change your life forever, leave you without the use of a limb, leave you needing help going to the bathroom for the rest of your life or leave you dead.

People who don't respect the machine are people who ride well beyond their limits, ride recklessly in traffic, etc. Respecting the machine is like a lion tamer respecting a lion. He's in charge; but he's not going to be ticking off that lion too much because in the end; he's a blink away from becoming just bits and pieces of who he once was. You're in charge of the bike; but listen to what it has to say (road feedback, noises, etc.) and don't push it beyond where you can be safely. And no, I don't care how proficient of a rider you are; simple physics says there's not enough time for you to react if you're doing 110mph in heavy traffic, flying around corners over the yellow line or following so close you can set your coffee on the other cars bumper.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Don't "ask" your ride to do what it wasn't designed to do. Respect it's capabilities and it won't "bite you in the a$$".............

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
When some young squirt passes you up on his crotch rocket at twice your speed with his front wheel off the ground or with a knee dragging the pavement, he is definately NOT respecting his machine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts