Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there All.,

On the weekend I did the resistor mod'. 430ohm x 1/2 watt metal oxide resistor. Pushed the blue wire out of plug, stripped a little plastic to wire on black, then soldered resistor from blue to black. Left the green alone.
I then took my big baby for a spin. After 5 mins the F1 red light came on. went home checked the wiring, oil, water, then another ride. Still the bloody red light.
OK! So I'm a dumb Aussy", but,,,, please :) What did I do wrong???
Poo, bum, dam!!! I do hope some body can please give me some advice on how to fix this. Otherwise,,, back to stock.

Enjoy Your bike Folks
Terry :beat-up:

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
just to make sure, what year model do you have?

Did you do the plug n play version? Or wired straight in version?

I've read where sometimes will go thru a few resistors before it works.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gidday

Same as you,2004
Wired straight in.
And I only tried it with one resistor, so tomorrow I will try a couple more.

Thanks Mate

·
Registered
1,467 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Smedlin
I tried another 2 different resistors, still red light. I even turned the ends around to different ends of the res'. Mmm,,, RED LIGHT district !
Bill
Why do the harness? Will it not work doing it straight from blue to black???
The harness goes from green to red???
What did you mean by "wired to the wrong side" ???
Dutchy
Why put the 18 gauge wire on each end?

To one and all,, I do appreciate the help :)
It works fine for the first 5 or 10 minutes, then bloody red light :-(
Please answer my questions and I "might" get there yet :)

Enjoy Your Rides
Terry

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I did the harness because it meant I could do the soldering on the bench and not on the bike. And because someone had it for sale cheap. There are 3 wires in the harness. One end of the resistor goes to the middle wire and one goes to one of the outer wires. I had it connected to the wrong outer wire. http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m306/sidj3/cable.jpg

I'm not sure how this will translate to the hardwire method, but it's all I got. As I said, my symptoms were exactly what yours are, and switching to the other wire fixed it.

Here's a shot of the hardwire method (you've probably already seen it).
http://vn2000.com/images/sc_rs_mod2.JPG The 2 wires that go down out of frame are connected to either end of the resistor.

The direction of the resistor shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I may have found the problem :)

I bought my resistors here in Aus'. They are a way differrnt part number to the Digi Keys number sooooo,,,.

I inquired about ordering from Digi,,, the freight is,,, questionable. Maybe $44 to 56 :-(
Or free. I emailed them and got not much of an answer.

Might have to bite the bullet and go for it.

Anyone with another answer???

Thanks Guys

Enjoy Your Rides
Terry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Resister

You have to wire it to the computer side of the harness NOT the sensor side. I had the light also at first. Reused the resister on the other plug and works like a demon now and no light.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Dutchy
Why put the 18 gauge wire on each end?
Terry
I put the wire on only to be able to tuck it away, no other reason that I see. I also did not solder the connections aside from to the resistor. I used insulated male/female spade connectors, to make future servicing/removal/replacement easier.
As a side note, I bought my resistors on ebay, shipped from China. I think it cost around $5 shipped free.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FIXED!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!! :))
Thanks to all with their ideas and help.
Kevin ( cheapdutchguy ) saved the day.
He posted from Canada, to me, the proper resistors and my Kwaka works a treat. She now goes like the clappers :)
Back tyres might be a problem now though :-(
Thanks to all for the help.
Enjoy Your Rides ( I will mine more now )
Terry

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If anyone needs a resistor, let me know as Kevin sent me extra, and I will be happy to forward them on from here in Australia.
They sure work :)
Terry

·
Registered
361 Posts
If anyone needs a resistor, let me know as Kevin sent me extra, and I will be happy to forward them on from here in Australia.
They sure work :)
Terry
Hi Terry, I'd be keen but I'm over the pond in Nu Zuland eh. What brand etc are they?? I'm keen on modding my bike since we use it two up everywhere.
Cheers, Andrew

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Terry, I'd be keen but I'm over the pond in Nu Zuland eh. What brand etc are they?? I'm keen on modding my bike since we use it two up everywhere.
Cheers, Andrew
Hi Andrew
I have no idea what brand they are, sorry.
I ride 2 up most times as well.
If you want to sent me your email or address through my private mail, I will post you a couple of resistors, no problems :)
Be glad to help, Kevin did it for me, Cool :D
Let me know if you like
Enjoy Your Ride
Terry

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi Andrew
I have no idea what brand they are, sorry.
I ride 2 up most times as well.
If you want to sent me your email or address through my private mail, I will post you a couple of resistors, no problems :)
Be glad to help, Kevin did it for me, Cool :D
Let me know if you like
Enjoy Your Ride
Terry
Done, I've sent you a PM with relevant details, Cheers Andrew

1 - 18 of 18 Posts