Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry if this has been answered a bunch of times, but what value resistor is used to mod the air sensor to richen up my Drifter? Is there a schematic or drawing with it to make sure it's done right. Many thanks to all for answering. Ride safe bro's and sisters

-2001 HD Softail with Rev Tech 100ci - 6sp
-2001 Indian Drifter 1500
-1985 Honda XL600R
-1969 Honda CB750 chopper Amen ht

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry, don't know the resistor value but it was a common mod back in the day. I considered installing a variable resistor so that I could 'tune' things a bit - I was experiencing serious engine pinging - which I eventually traced to several faulty pins in the ECU connectors. Why are you thinking you need to 'enrichen'; are you experiencing some pinging?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, don't know the resistor value but it was a common mod back in the day. I considered installing a variable resistor so that I could 'tune' things a bit - I was experiencing serious engine pinging - which I eventually traced to several faulty pins in the ECU connectors. Why are you thinking you need to 'enrichen'; are you experiencing some pinging?

I am looking at all options without going too crazy to get optimum performance, and reduce chances of pinging. The bike came with nice aftermarket exhaust, and I will be looking at a BAK or better flowing intake, so a variable resistor seems like the final option to wake it up. After some digging it seems folks have used a 1K linear pot, and put in up to 1.5K of resistance to the air temp sensor, to richen it up a tiny bit across the board. Earlier sensors were one wire, but mine has a two wire sensor. I ordered a factory service manual so I can see which wire to add resistance to. Don't want to guess. However, this is the first I have heard of the ECU connection causing pinging problems. I should probably spray that out with Deoxit, and slap some dielectric grease in it to be sure it is not a problem. It seems there are frequent complaints of 1500 Drifters pinging on here. Appreciate your advise. Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
However, this is the first I have heard of the ECU connection causing pinging problems.
I never met anyone else that had the problem before either. The ECU has mail pins while the two harness connectors have the female 'pins'. I found several of the female pins in each connector were broken right at the mouth of the 'pin' where the metal is folded over to act as a spring contact. I eventually replaced every pin on both connectors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts