Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I wonder what's the "Reserve Fuel Capacity" size on my Vulcan 900 Classic 07'...
Because I'm from Europe and I'm not customed to MPH gauge...
(the bike is imported from US..)

So I fill the tank at his full capacity, while the bike is leaned on the pad at the gas station
... and after the RESERVE light gose on I hit the first gas station and fill between 14-16liters of gasoline...
So if the tank is 20l capacity that means my reserve capacity is around 5 liters? Is that so? or am I calculating something wrong...:confused:

I can make from 165 to 175 miles before reserve indicator starts blinking... and I rode all the way to 200miles and added 16liters of gasoline tops...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Zephyr,
My custom is european; I never wait until reserve indicator is on... I make 300km and fill the tank (once I made 400km and poured 17,3L) VN900 Classic's fuel consumption is a bit worse than Custom's consumtion.
If you want to know how many kms you can make after res. ind. is on - just test it (take a bottle of fuel and ride your bike untill it dies;)).

·
Registered
166 Posts
check out the gas gauge fix in the Sticky, my light would come on at about 145 miles and would take less than 3 gallons. I did the fix and now around 200-205 miles the light comes on which leaves about 1.3 gallons in the tank. I average right about 48 miles to a gallon unless I am riding 2 up. Easy mod to do, great write up.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Keep in mind there is no reserve fuel pickup on the 900; just the one pickup. Because it's a fuel injected bike, in which the fuel is under positive pressure the whole time; having two pickups wouldn't work very well. The light just means the tank is low.

Better safe than sorry; when the light comes on I start looking for a gas station.

·
Registered
675 Posts
check out the gas gauge fix in the Sticky, my light would come on at about 145 miles and would take less than 3 gallons. I did the fix and now around 200-205 miles the light comes on which leaves about 1.3 gallons in the tank. I average right about 48 miles to a gallon unless I am riding 2 up. Easy mod to do, great write up.
I did not know the resistor mod for the gauge, would affect the low fuel light?
On mine it only change the gauge reading, light always came on with 1.1-1.3 gallons remaining.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I did not know the resistor mod for the gauge, would affect the low fuel light?
On mine it only change the gauge reading, light always came on with 1.1-1.3 gallons remaining.
you maybe right, I did the mod after a couple of fill ups. Did not run it till the light came on, just watched the needle go to empty but after the resistor mod it is more accurate.

·
Registered
761 Posts
When my light came on today with 151 miles on the tank of gas I added gas and 3.1 gallons later it was full again.Low fuel light seems just as inaccurate as the gas gauge is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got a 2007 900 classic about 3 months ago. Never even thought about the fuel gauge being inaccurate. It wasn't until I got back from a short trip and started wondering why, at startup, the coolant and fuel low lights never lit up like the oil pressure and fuel injection lights do when you first turn on the ignition.

That got me to going down a rabbit hole and finding threads about the inaccurate gauge.

I suppose my question is, without the resistor fix, does the light still come on with approximately one gallon left? Does this mean that without the fix, you could basically be riding around on a less than empty gauge, but the fuel level light would actually be accurate at approximately 1 gallon left?

Obviously there are motorcycles out there in the world that don't have a gauge but have a low level warning light. And this is the first motorcycle I've ever had with either a gauge or a light. I always went by the odometer.

However I can understand someone being concerned with depending on a low level light when their gauge has the needle far to the left of E.

So are we saying that the gauge itself is inaccurate, but would be accurate with the resistor fix, and that despite all else, the low level light is always accurate?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts