Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
ditto...

you don't gain much by spending the extra duckets... you're better off running regular and every do often running a cleaner through it. my local dealer offers a bottle for $9 and lasts for like 10 fill ups (or something close to that)... it's like your cars injector cleaners just for our bikes.

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have never been able to establish a whit of difference between any grade. Some suggest premium is a bad thing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wondered the same thing, and for a few years ran 93 octane. A few months ago, I saw a few threads about octane and switched to the regular 87. Since switching to regular grade, I have noticed a slight increase in fuel economy. I wouldn't say this is a definitive, permanent change. I've done a few trips on the regular gas and less commuting. But I can say that I have not seen any ill effects of going with regular gas.

For what it's worth, I'm riding an 07 900 classic that I run on 10w-40 dino oil.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Read the pump. When I rode down through Utah, I saw alot of 85 octane regular there. I bought the lowest grade that was 87 or higher octane, which was usually the middle grade, as I recall.

I've heard some say that at higher altitudes you don't need as high an octane rating, but I wasn't in an experimenting mood, being 1000 miles from home.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I run 93 only cause of my pipes powercommander and BAK and still getting over 50mpg dont know if i would go down to say a buck or two
If you gut your pipes and put one of the designer air filters that are out there on your scoot, then you might lean out your F/A mix enough to require a fuel integrater/power commander/octo-booster or what have you. This "should" bring your fuel-air ratio back into geometry, and you should be able to run 87 octane. The VN900 runs at something like 9.5:1 compression, if wikipedia is right, and simple bolt-ons should not change that. My other bike runs at 11.2:1. THAT requires 91 or better octane for continuous use, especially when you use your throttle like an on/off switch!!!

However (comma) YOU are the best judge of whether or not the extra 6 octane points are worth the extra 20 centavos a gallon! (It's only an extra buck for a tank full....:D)

I'm a twidget... (means I work with electronics) so I don't know beans about motorcycles - but in my never-to-be-humbled opinion the only reason a VN900 will run faster with Premium Unleaded, is because your wallet will be lighter...:cool:

JMHO...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts