Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an 08 vulcan 900 custom... haven't had a bike in many years so technically it's my starter bike.

anyway, I was so excited to buy it, I didn't notice that a bunch of the chrome parts on the engine are chromed plastic... honestly, I'd like to replace all that with metal parts... preferably bare or primed so I can paint them whatever color I want.

anyone know where to find that stuff? none of my google searches are being cooperative

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Just got an 08 vulcan 900 custom... haven't had a bike in many years so technically it's my starter bike.

anyway, I was so excited to buy it, I didn't notice that a bunch of the chrome parts on the engine are chromed plastic... honestly, I'd like to replace all that with metal parts... preferably bare or primed so I can paint them whatever color I want.

anyone know where to find that stuff? none of my google searches are being cooperative
Im not sure that any are available, in all the searches i have done for either OEM or aftermarket stuff, its all been chrome plated ABS plastic, from my switch covers to my air filter cover, the only metal parts that i have, was my chrome front wheel hub cap and headlight visor. You may be out of luck.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hue, plastic can play a good part in bikes. ABS plastic, properly designed and molded, can be more resilient and impact resistant than cast aluminum. Plastic fenders flex, rather than bend, which is a benefit I've personally enjoyed.

Maybe I'm in denial, but the plastic doesn't bother me. Mine are properly chromed and properly painted, and to my eye, I can't tell the difference without tapping on them.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Maybe I'm in denial, but the plastic doesn't bother me. Mine are properly chromed and properly painted, and to my eye, I can't tell the difference without tapping on them.
Nah, dont bother me either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did the same thing last year. Bought a '08 900 classic right off the showroom floor after a 30 year hiatus from riding and didn't even sit on it before signing the papers! When I went to pick it up the next day I wasn't able to leave the parking lot on the bike, because of my lack of riding skills and the dealer had to deliver it to my house on a trailer. Then and only then did I "plink" some of the engine parts and trim. What a shock....My last bike was "71 Triumph Trophy 500 and the plastic used in those days was practically negligible. BUT you get accustomed to the idea after a short while, especially if you go bling crazy right away and the parts start arriving in the same ABS material. Give it a while - let your mind get in the zone - just stand back and realize all new bikes are going to be like this.
Gunner
P.S. I got on the bike and taught myself to ride all over again. G

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I grew up a bikers son... in the 70s. every harley my dad had was pretty much metal everything. something about the plastic makes it feel cheap to me. don't get me wrong, I love this bike and it's certainly not a deal breaker, but I'm really surprised there's not some business owner out there that feels the same way I do. Seems like there'd be lots of metal replacement parts on the 3rd party market.

re: teaching yourself to ride again... I was 20 miles from home with no option other than to ride it home. I hadn't riden a full sized bike like that in 10 or 15yrs.... so I was nervous to say the least. Slow and low that was the tempo... got it home with no problems whatsoever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts