Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get the new LED pod to blink. I'm not sure what to do with the ground wire. I tried grounding it to the frame with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by you grounded the wires to the frame. The lights should wire up the same as stock with a positive and negative wire. At least that is how mine connected, if I remember correctly. It's been awhile. But mine are conected to a +/- wire set with a load equilizer in line with the + wire.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I can't get the new LED pod to blink. I'm not sure what to do with the ground wire. I tried grounding it to the frame with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.
There are single wire and two wire turn signals on the market. Which do you have? Are your new signals on the front or rear? Are you still using the OEM blinker? More info will help solve your problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are single wire and two wire turn signals on the market. Which do you have? Are your new signals on the front or rear? Are you still using the OEM blinker? More info will help solve your problem.

Mine are 2 wire and I'm replacing all 4.
Initially, I did not realize the the green wire was the blinker and the blue was the running for the front turn signals. After I did, I got it all wired up and tested. Everything worked fine. After I got the new LED's mounted in place, I tested is again. Now when I signal left or right all four indicators blink. Any ideas?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure if this is your problem but you may still need to install this to get them to work properly.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/719/Diode-Kit

You may need to install a load equalizer as well. Because the led light draw less amps the flasher will run at a higher speed.
Thanks a million. This is the exact issue I'm having. I'm ordering it right now.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Mine are 2 wire and I'm replacing all 4.
Initially, I did not realize the the green wire was the blinker and the blue was the running for the front turn signals. After I did, I got it all wired up and tested. Everything worked fine. After I got the new LED's mounted in place, I tested is again. Now when I signal left or right all four indicators blink. Any ideas?
Yes, the signal from the flasher is of course going to the indicator light on your console. Sorry for the techno speak but when you had the filament type indicator bulbs the signal stopped at the console, more or less. The reason being that the indicator is getting power from either the left or right, depending on which way you press the switch, and finding chassis ground through the opposite turn signal lamps. The current going through the indicator is choked down because of the high resistance of the bulb so there isn't enough wattage to cause the other lights to illuminate. Now what you have to do is break both wires going to the indicator bulb and install two common diodes like the attachment shows.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the signal from the flasher is of course going to the indicator light on your console. Sorry for the techno speak but when you had the filament type indicator bulbs the signal stopped at the console, more or less. The reason being that the indicator is getting power from either the left or right, depending on which way you press the switch, and finding chassis ground through the opposite turn signal lamps. The current going through the indicator is choked down because of the high resistance of the bulb so there isn't enough wattage to cause the other lights to illuminate. Now what you have to do is break both wires going to the indicator bulb and install two common diodes like the attachment shows.
I installed the diode kit yesterday and still no resolution. With the diode kit the front indicators are only in running operation and both rear indicators blink. I called Kuryakyn and left a message with no return call. Instead of sitting around I went to the local Kawi dealer. He basically told me it could be a number of different issues. He suggested I give the tech an hour and $85 just to diagnose the problem. I'm not sure I want to throw in the towel just yet. I put everything back to stock to see if all the functions worked properly. Everything checked out fine. So, I decided to purchase some Motrax incandescent indicators. I wired everything up and all was well. Until I got all the lights in place. Now the left front turn signal is intermittent. Test light shoes power from the wiring harness but none at the light. Maybe the diode is bad. If so, why would it work sometimes?

So much for an easy project!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I installed the diode kit yesterday and still no resolution. With the diode kit the front indicators are only in running operation and both rear indicators blink. I called Kuryakyn and left a message with no return call. Instead of sitting around I went to the local Kawi dealer. He basically told me it could be a number of different issues. He suggested I give the tech an hour and $85 just to diagnose the problem. I'm not sure I want to throw in the towel just yet. I put everything back to stock to see if all the functions worked properly. Everything checked out fine. So, I decided to purchase some Motrax incandescent indicators. I wired everything up and all was well. Until I got all the lights in place. Now the left front turn signal is intermittent. Test light shoes power from the wiring harness but none at the light. Maybe the diode is bad. If so, why would it work sometimes?

So much for an easy project!
The diodes (2) are not, or should not be, in the circuit going to the turn signals. They are suppose to be wired to the single indicator light on the console. The wire colors are gray and the other green.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts